Scott's 4 gallon pico reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started following this... I think i convinced my boss to let me have on at my desk at work if i set one up for him too lol
quick question.... What fixture are you using for your bulb?

More rock will give me more room for coral! Especially SPS closer to the light if I decide to do that, and more room for bacteria to break down fish waste.

I don't think water quality will be an issue unless one adds a large fish not meant for small tanks.. or a messy fish. The issue will be crowding the fish and stressing him out. Like, I wouldn't put a clownfish in here for sure. But a clown goby, firefish, watchman goby, etc all meant for 10 gallons would probably be fine.

The stray voltage thing isn't as easy for me lol. I think the outlets in my house are not grounded. I'm going to be checking them soon.

Nice to know you got an evolve 4, too! Did you have problems with it like I did initially?

Are you going to test today? You need too! You need something living in that tank. Stinky, the rotting silverside, just isn't gonna cut it!

.25 ammonia
0 nitrite
>160 nitrates

bout there. a couple more days to be sure.

Yes, I am cycled now.

Just need to do a big PWC and head to the pet store.

scottayy said:
Yes, I am cycled now.

Just need to do a big PWC and head to the pet store.

Hooray!!!! So glad you are cycled!

You need to do like... A 100% pwc! Lol! Your nitrates were through the roof!

Yeah. I'm probably going to do two 80% water changes. Salt is in the tote mixing right now. I also just put my light on a timer.

It's getting real.

scottayy said:
Yeah. I'm probably going to do two 80% water changes. Salt is in the tote mixing right now. I also just put my light on a timer.

It's getting real.

It's getting real awesome!!

I can't wait to see what you get for it first!

I did my two back to back water changes. Nitrates are at 2, ammonia and nitrate at 0. I'll stop by the pet shop today or tomorrow.

The 2 nitrates were bothering me (hey, i've never had 0 nitrates, lol) so I did another 80% water change.

It looks good now (lights are way brighter than this picture shows):
img_2143375_0_4cd0ff90a86bd4abdea5e72746b2bc01.jpg

I mounted my moonlights to the lid of the tank. It came out quite nicely. In this picture, the lights are way DIMMER than the picture shows. It's quite a nice mellow moonlight effect. Got that on my timer as well.
img_2143375_1_daf708866dc522f728149b4419638278.jpg

And I made this thingy. Sponge, straw, super glue. Some people call me the king of DIY!
img_2143375_2_8e75ca3786eb94489971e6caba7a8af5.jpg

Anyways, today is the day I go to the pet store if I don't sleep all day. Looking forward to picking something up and getting some life in the tank!

Okay, I've been up all night at work and I'm pretty tired, so forgive my stupidity. But what's the straw/sponge thing for? I got kinda lost on that one. Is it gonna be an airstone kinda thing? To use for cleaning? Just asking cuz who knows- maybe I want one too!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom