Tank2379 60G Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filled up last night- ran a test with the return line when I first started it the noise was horrible and the water kept rising then lowering really fast with a loud Gurgle sound- but I forgot to make a hole on the stand pipe noise stop and water started flowing freely and consistantly, no more noise. Anyhow it got quite, kinda too quite. There was a small leak in the return but I did not clamp it down tight enough took care of that issue and about 20 mins later check again no leaks to be detected.
The Tunze Silence return pump 1073.020 was very silent and I am happy with the purchase I also did not need to dial down the return and it's pumping up the right amount of water that is needed. I also fired up the lights for the first time just to see how it is going to look- like the shimmer effect which my daughter pointed out right away. Any how a couple more pics
filled her up with the garden hose go thing its right outside my window so it was easier to just fill it with that.
img_1513613_0_203b0ab1e44709fc9e863e0495f31714.jpg

lights on
img_1513613_1_291a6ef1ffad96b261227e6b0097a732.jpg

I am also making a Box Canopy so I can add myu Stunner Strip LEDs and I am going to add a Fan for ventilation.
img_1513613_2_4f99d7b318e152a55c4da562c40a8ed5.jpg

Update: No update just need to keep this up to date as possible, I removed the freshwater last night emptied and dryed everything- I was going to start RO/DI water but I hit a stump while putting all new filters in my RO unit I want to replace the RO- Membrane just to make sure there is not going to be any issues with Algae later on- But while trying and trying and trying with all my strength I could not remove the cap what so ever from the Membrane housing- I guess having it on for over 3 years can probabaly be the problem...lol...

Anyhow I will try again tonight- I am finally going to clean up my Skimmer since it's been sitting in Vinegar for the past couple days-I think it's clean enough now...lol.. The weekend is hear so I will hopefully get more stuff done and get the Aquascaping going... Until then Happy Reefing

The weekend was kind of productive I made a open box Canopy- to relieve heat issues from the MH fixture pendant- Anyhow I got everything installed and ready now its ready to be filled with water- the canopy loos like a floating canopy something like that. But anyhow a couple more pics with progress- I have water being made now to start filling up

img_1519115_0_d7f43bc29e153d16250aca20c88518e9.jpg

The canopy was very sturdy and was bolted down to keep it from iy bending forward which worked out pretty well. Still needs painting which will come next
img_1519115_1_28adfd4b37077ffa900fa1c16b2560a6.jpg

Installed LED Exocotic Stunner Stripes 1x 453 NM Blue and 1 X 453 NM Blue/Magenta(pink)
img_1519115_2_491abe632230121e7bfd3e69a4a41b80.jpg

img_1519115_3_83c2f81244c7ab9774bde3a715b4082b.jpg

Some pre-aquascaping I did but it's not offical yet
img_1519115_4_743094dc92d76bc930909f3cfd6bebc6.jpg

with lights on
img_1519115_5_62f4068da1c9b7b8afbd726eb989f3de.jpg

Hopefully today I can get this filled and ready to cycle and we are on our way for another SPS dominated Reef- :)

WOW!! That canopy look awesome!! I was having the same issue and just couldnt come up with a solution to hang a pendant. Props! You did a great job!

Got water filling it will take me till tomorrow to finish filling up since I dont have enough time in a day to get more RO water going but I am halfway there... I aquascaped a cave type of deal let me know if you guys like it... Here are a couple more pics
img_1520512_0_1b3cbeeb8f08b0a619dc7347a2d2cac8.jpg

Top View
img_1520512_1_bcee4c3232b8c078a3347fafa45342d4.jpg

Today when I get home I should be able to fill it completely- Water that is in now cleared up over night, Since the LR where bleached then dipped in acid there was still some dead stuff in the rocks that may have already caused a cycle to start- but when I get home and finish filling it I will have it running at full service and get a reading before bedtime.

Looking good. I might have missed it or forgot but are you going reef or fowlr?

Tonight has been succesful I completed filling up tank and got everything running- Apex Jr is online also and controlling it threw the Aqua Notes App is sweet.. Anyhow took some pics of the tank filled and Sump in action Skimmer has to break back in again since I cleaned it up pretty good...
img_1521848_0_b3ce0d466d51618bb877ed12110f982d.jpg

Aquascape complete
img_1521848_1_f8bc762d945370f53409a8100e960ebd.jpg

Sump with Skimmer
img_1521848_2_a84cc65387091f59fc7b72f72914dd0f.jpg

Return Side
img_1521848_3_7e31874c3bcfd007f63948668548a190.jpg

Still more to come cycle hopefully should start soo- I check reading and everything read zero- and PH 8.0

Yesterday I stop at the Fish market and pick up two huge pieces of Shrimp to start my Cycle off- I am going fishless cycle route becasue I don't like putting fish thru the stress of Ammonia- Which this has always been a debate ( but don't want to Debate on this save it for another Thread). Anyhow drop them in yesterday and not they are ever so patiently waing to decompose...lol
img_1524174_0_95b4df6a2909a8544f60af77820b990c.jpg

Cycle begins
img_1524174_1_ec753a5bf802a9a8639e0838d68d0822.jpg

Got some Skim but I just think its from all the Sand Dust
img_1524174_2_49b3e2f86bd4b052af0d632a256fd436.jpg

I took readings tonight and Cycle has started- Have a couple questions becasue it's been 4 years since I've cycled a new Tank. But I will show you my readings
img_1524862_0_7d352ed86ad30be4158a9e96b36a9fae.jpg

Ammonia 0.50PPM
Nitrates 0.0ppm
Nitrites 0.0ppm
PH 8.0 lights just went out but

Anyhow was wondering to get some clarity in my water cause it's still a little cloudy should I run some Carbon? Or can I run Carbon while cycling? Also I have my skimmer running but I know it would not effect the cycle that much at least I hope.
Let me know what you guys thinks
Thanks
Frankie

Cycle is moving along great---Today's Test

Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrates 0.0ppm
Nitrites 0.50ppm
PH 8.0

Cycle Update

Well today testing seems to be higher from the last and looks like everything is moving along just fine- Readings are as follows

Ammonia-3.0PPM

Nitrites-5.0PPM

Nitrate-10PPM

Colors are not exact but you get the idea..
spin2.gif

Just hope this keeps moving right along

Well I have come up with a Stock list just wondering what should I take out or add. First just wondering if I should add any or at all any Tangs- I really don't care what the Tang police has to say becasue I am pretty sure they don't follow there own rules-

Clowns are up in the air I have no clue but looking for maybe Onyx or something cool if I can't find anything else.
Mystery Wrasse or Fariy Wrasses
Anthias- Maybe some Squimies or Red spotted Cardinals
Gobie- Nano Size
Blennie- Like the Bi-color
Pygmy Angel Fish

Might be a ton of fish but most are going to be nano size or small I know The Anthias might take up the most space but they will add color in the tank and I have a Huge Skimmer on this system so it will be able to carry the bio-load plus.

Let me know if I should change anything or if you have suggestions

The tang police DO follow their own rules, at least i do. I waited almost a year to be able to have one and had to get a 6 foot long tank for them. I promise you tangs will NOT be happy in a 60g tank for long. You risk the life of the fish and it's health in general to have them in a smaller tank.

BUT thats' all I will say about that. LOL ;-)

I like your list, looks solid. The only thing I would consider is if you are planning more than one anthias. I planned on 3 for my 125g and after Ihad the one I realized how much space they really need so I would probably only get one. But the cardinals are nice too, I wish I had an appropriate tank for them, I;ve been eying them since I started.

I hope I didn't come off as mean, it's early, I'm cranky but I speak the truth. i still worry about my blue tang in a six foot tank. I;m constantly checking him out and he's only like 3 inches big! lol

Either way, good luck and let us know what you end up going with. And of course we will want pictures!

The tang police DO follow their own rules, at least i do. I waited almost a year to be able to have one and had to get a 6 foot long tank for them. I promise you tangs will NOT be happy in a 60g tank for long. You risk the life of the fish and it's health in general to have them in a smaller tank.

BUT thats' all I will say about that. LOL ;-)

I like your list, looks solid. The only thing I would consider is if you are planning more than one anthias. I planned on 3 for my 125g and after Ihad the one I realized how much space they really need so I would probably only get one. But the cardinals are nice too, I wish I had an appropriate tank for them, I;ve been eying them since I started.

I hope I didn't come off as mean, it's early, I'm cranky but I speak the truth. i still worry about my blue tang in a six foot tank. I;m constantly checking him out and he's only like 3 inches big! lol

Either way, good luck and let us know what you end up going with. And of course we will want pictures!

I think i've been in the Hobby long enough to know a Tang would not work, but I only put that out there to see if we are still following the same rules that apply. But I do know some reefers that claim to be the Tang police that are not following there own rule of thumb- but thats neither hear nor there.

If I where to add a Tang it's to clean up some algae and move him on to another reefer that has a larger tank as I have done in the past especially when some need to be nurse back to health from the LFS. I would def not keep it long term. But you didn't come off mean your just a Reef Geek like all of us... LOL..

But thanks I am hoping this stock list stays this way I would add smaller Anthais that are available but cost a pretty penny to get- But if I can get a small school of the red tails I would be happy..

Last edited:
You've got a plan, and I can't fault you for that. It's good to hear. :)

I had a guy buy something off me yesterday that had a blue hippo and a sweetlips in a biocube. Now thats just plain crazy. LOL

Took more readings yesterday and the cycle is moving along great.. readings are as follows

Ammonia 0.50ppm

Nitrate 40ppm

Nitrite 2.0ppm

Ammonia has gone down quite a bit and the Nitrites are slowly coming down- and as always Nitrates are shooting up but not as much, hopefully this last another week 1/2. to be continue hopefully the real fun starts soon.. :)

Cycle Update

Been almost 4 days since I checked my readings today more progress

Ammonia 0.0ppm

Nitrites 0.50PPM

Nitrates 10PPM

Hopefully in a few more days this should be completed then I will check if any Ammonia Spike will occur once I throw some food in to see if I get an Ammonia Spike- if all is good them the real Fun Starts.... :cool:(y)

Back
Top Bottom