Thinking of putting a 10 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
To be purchased:

-10 gallon AGA
-AC 70 will only use either ceramic rings or rubble rock which one is better.
-20 lbs Aragonite sand
-16 lbs of nano live rock from liveaquaria
-Heater?
-light the nova extreme 24" what corals do you recommend?
-A mini skimmer rio?
-Nano Koralia?

CUC
8 Dwarf ceriths
2 Nassarius
4 Florida Ceriths
3 Blue Legs
3 Small to Medium Nerites

Stock
2 tank bred ocellaris

planning in starting after my son's 4th bday so around mid may.

I'm open to suggestions. This will be my first SW dip.

Edit: do I need a glass top? If I don't, will the evaporation be too much? Weekly PWC will be done.

You don't really need a glass top for evaporation. The only tank I have a glass top on is the one with a wrasse since I don't want it to jump out. Top offs should be everyday or even twice a day to keep the salinity stable. If you don't want to do top offs get an ATO, They are easy to set up and use.

You don't need a skimmer on a small tank but you do have to keep up with your PWC/ The light you will want a 4 bulb light if you go with T5

You're way over on your CUC, much too many.

In my 14G I have 7 blue- leg hermits and 7 Turbo snails

The dwarf cerith snails are very small and seem to be short lived in my tank. I don't know what the life expectancy is for them or if my hermits like to eat them. The Florida ceriths end up as new shells for the hermits. I am not saying not to get the hermits but be aware of the fact they will kill a snail just to try on their shell. I watched one of my blue legged crabs kill a Florida cerith try on the shell, which was to big since he could only back up. He backed up in a full circle and went back into its old shell. I have lots of other different sized shells in my tank. I do have hermits in my tanks.

PLEASE make sure you cycle your tank before putting in any fish. If your little guy wants a fish in there someone on a forum took some of those cling images and put on the tank. Keeping the child occupied while it cycled.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
You're way over on your CUC, much too many.

In my 14G I have 7 blue- leg hermits and 7 Turbo snails

Got it from the reefcleaners website. The custom one. What would you suggest?

joy13 said:
PLEASE make sure you cycle your tank before putting in any fish.

the tank will definitely be cycled before I would even think of putting anything alive in there. I am in no rush. This is more for me because my little ones have their FW tank. This one will actually be upstairs in my bedroom.

Defintely IMO go all snails, no hermits. Less to worry about. No need for extra shells for hermit, no worrying about them killing snails or each other

What snails and how many do you think I would need? Do you think I can put maybe a shrimp or two?

I say max out at 10-15 snails. Definitely some nassarius for the sand.

You could definitely add a shrimp, IMO they're not a part of CUC

As far as cleaning both don't contribute. That's why I said IMO they don't count as CUC.

That list looks good though.

(And a tip: If you do get sexy shrimp later on they like to be in trios, like 3, 6, 9, etc.)

Thanks so much you have been great help. I might just go with the peppermint then.

You think I can put all the snails together at once (after the tank have cycled of course) or do I have to put them x number at a time?

Back
Top Bottom