transporting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my research for the nano reef tank I am wanting to set up, I am finding a lot of creatures that will do great in the tank, but they aren't available where I live. My LFS is great, but as far as corals, inverts, and a few other things go, they are lacking. Now, approx two hours away from me is an incredible store that has isles and isles of creatures including corals, inverts, fish, etc... Would that be too long of a transport? If not, what precautions should I take? THANKS!

I would not think it would be too long or a transport considering there are many online stores that ship overnight . . . closer to 16 hours of transport. 2 hours should not be a problem at all. Just make sure they put a decent amount of water in each bag.

tripper

I use a mini-cooler or a styrofoam cooler to help keep the temp stable. Also heating pads(hand warmers) are good idea if it's really cold out.

We picked our Maroon clown up from about an hour away. We had a box packed with peanuts and the walls were padded with styrofoam in order to insulate her as best as possible against heat loss in her bag of water and then I tried to keep the box shut (it was hard not peaking in on her to make sure she was ok :)). The more water you can get her in the better as there will be more water to keep the inside of the box warm.

I guess the biggest downfall is that you won't be able to see the same fish several times to watch their condition and comfort in their store environment. You'll want them to feed them so that you've seen them eat (and then of course they'll poop in the bag you're taking them home in adding to an ammo issue in such small confines).

I would find a reputable fish shipper and review their acclimation procedures for anything special that might pertain to a fish in small quarters for an extended period of time (the thing that sticks out in my mind is from liveaquaria who says not to put an airstone into the water because of the dramatic effect that has on the PH).

Happy shopping!

as for fish, I think I'd make my LFS order it for me. That way I can be sure and of course if I don't want it, I know there are plenty of people around here who would snatch it up in a heartbeat. The only problem is my LFS is a bit expensive, but they do know their stuff! So I don't mind spending a little extra on fish.

I also think that if I was traveling to a fish store so far away I'd be more inclined to make an impulse buy if they didn't have exactly what I was looking for instead of coming home, researching it, running it by you guys, researching it some more, asking more questions and then going back for the fish. But that's just my personality flaw :).

I probably would too. Thankfully it is in my hometown so I'll just be going there when I go home to see my mom.

All great suggestions. Just tell the store how far you have to go and they should bag the fish accordingly.

I bought 2 peices of coral while on vacation. I told them how far I had to traveled, and they filled the bag with extra air. I had to travel over 600miles with them and they are still alive and kickin after 6 months. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom