26 Gallon Reef: Possible / Smart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wicked_chicken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently converted my tank to a saltwater tank, and, as much as I would like to increase my tank size to something 100g+, it's simply not in the cards for now. That being said, I'd really like to start a reef, and was wondering if it is advisable, and if so, how much I might need to add in hardware to do so. My current configuration is this:

Aqueon 26g (24.2" x 14.8" x 20.9")
Aquaclear 110 (500gal/min)
Coralife T5 24" (2 bulbs)
~23 lbs Live Rock
Flame Hawkfish
False Perc
Misc Crabs
Red Bulb Anenome

I am aware that anenome's can chase corals (or so I have heard), and that hawkfish can pick on inverts (although this doesn't really bother me).

What additional hardware would I need? Is there anything I should know before I look into frags?

It is possible but it will require more dilligence. Added water volume is a good thing because it is more forgiving if mistakes or problems arise. That`s why bigger tank are always suggested for reefs. Like I said it can be done though.

That I understand, and I'm fine with checking water parameters. I really want a 220+, but I know that's not possible right now :D

I guess you could add some softies first and find out if your fish like to eat them. You have everything basically to house softies. You could get mushrooms, zoas things like that and try it out.

That sounds like a good idea. I have two primary concerns. Will the rose anenome chase my corals, and is my lighting sufficient?

The lighting and flow is perfect for the corala that I listed. If the anemone is attached and has been attached it shouldnt move that much,if it constantly moves theirs something wrong that caused it too move. The corals should be fine just dont place them right next to the nem.

Awesome, thanks. The anenome has stuck in a general area, but has moved vertically up and down the rock. I'm unsure what might have caused this, but I'm looking into it.

Also, am at the point where I need to purchase more salt. Is it worth looking into reef crystals, or is there not a huge difference?

Back
Top Bottom