320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So your going to run water through the copper? Will the LEDs be on the acrylic? Or will the LEDs be on the aluminum then the copper?

So your going to run water through the copper? Will the LEDs be on the acrylic? Or will the LEDs be on the aluminum then the copper?
Yes I will have water being pumped in a closed loop system to dissipate the heat outside of the house.
The LED's will be on the underside of that plate and the plate will be hanging from the ceiling.

So I was thinking (always trouble when I do that) solder is a pretty good conductor of heat... and it's a lot cheaper then thermal compound I'll just solder the pipe to the aluminum... so I attach all my pipe to the aluminum and all the corners, so I have a nice long single line... I start to solder and I solder the elbow to the small connecting piece then to the other elbow... seems a little difficult but I figure it's just cause I haven't done it in a very long time... then I try to solder the elbow to the long line... not happening... I keep trying anyways... after about 5 min of going "What the heck!" I figure it out... (most people know that to solder you need both pieces to be hot enough to melt the solder so it can "stick") Well it turns out that my aluminum heat sink works well with no solder or thermal paste as it wont let the pipe attached to it heat up enough to solder it. Now I'm going to have to take all the pipe off and solder it before re-attaching it. What a pain. oh ya and there will be no soldering the pipe to the aluminum. (live and learn... darn heat-sink works too well.)
img_1132140_0_c68de977a9232dd33de528cc95c755df.jpg

Oh and copper doesn't solder for some reason in my experience. I tried soldering copper coated wire to a piece of steel. It just wouldn't go. I had to sand paper the copper off.

Oh and copper doesn't solder for some reason in my experience. I tried soldering copper coated wire to a piece of steel. It just wouldn't go. I had to sand paper the copper off.
How do you think they connect copper pipe? I just couldn't get one part hot enough... Got a hotter gas and now it's done :D Tomorrow I pressure test the pipe and I try to fill in the gaps of aluminum and copper with solder.

How do you think they connect copper pipe? I just couldn't get one part hot enough... Got a hotter gas and now it's done :D Tomorrow I pressure test the pipe and I try to fill in the gaps of aluminum and copper with solder.

Must have been something odd. Perhaps roughing up the wire helped to melt bits easier.

No coralline algae just diatoms. Do you think the bacteria and algae would be affected by the change cold to warm? And your daughter looks quite proud of her new fish home haha.

I think he was more concerned about the PH then the algae formation. Nice rock. Should work out fine.

No coralline algae just diatoms. Do you think the bacteria and algae would be affected by the change cold to warm? And your daughter looks quite proud of her new fish home haha.
She is quite proud :D

I think he was more concerned about the PH then the algae formation. Nice rock. Should work out fine.

Thincat was right I just wanted to leach the nasty stuff out of the rock.

Any pieces break? If I had a garage I would love to do this myself. My mom lives a couple blocks from the Atlantic in central Florida. Only problem is when I go to remove them people may think I'm stealing the rock, not getting stuff I put there myself...

You could wear Sun Glasses. lol You might want to check with the local "DLNR" and see what they say.

You could wear Sun Glasses. lol You might want to check with the local "DLNR" and see what they say.
+1

If you are aloud to put your own rock in and take it out it doesn't matter what they think... even if cops come the second they look at it they would be able to tell it's man made.

Back
Top Bottom