55g stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
aoo in two months (once my math grade is an a or b) my mom will get me a 55g. any stocking ideas?

Depends if reef or fowlr if it's a reef go with 75 trust me much more room to work with rock

Pair of black clowns
Kole tang
Flame Angel
A lawnmower Blenny
Watchman goby
Blue jaw trigger
3 or 5 reef chromis
25-50 hermit crabs
25 assorted snails
A pair of coral banded shrimp or fire shrimp or cleaner shrimp
so that's about 10-12 fish

55 might be too small for all of that and a Blue jaw trigger? JMO. I think 10-12 fish might be high too (again, JMO- not stepping on toes).

Kole tang probably shouldnt be in a 55g though. 75g is the bare minimum, he needs room to turn abound an swim in there.

i agree a 75g would be a better choice, you could put a good amount of fish and corals in it.

Pair of black clowns
Kole tang
Flame Angel
A lawnmower Blenny
Watchman goby
Blue jaw trigger
3 or 5 reef chromis
25-50 hermit crabs
25 assorted snails
A pair of coral banded shrimp or fire shrimp or cleaner shrimp
so that's about 10-12 fish
ive highlighted problems in this. blue jaw in a 55? they get 12 inches also have a high risk in eating everything small in the tank. coral bandeds get huge too basketball size. and 10-12 fish? generally rule is about inch per 5 gallons so you got 11 inches full grown size thats pretty much just tang clowns and the goby

Kole tang probably shouldnt be in a 55g though. 75g is the bare minimum, he needs room to turn abound an swim in there.

i agree a 75g would be a better choice, you could put a good amount of fish and corals in it.
+1 the kole eye would enjoy larger tanks.

ilostnemo said:
ive highlighted problems in this. blue jaw in a 55? they get 12 inches also have a high risk in eating everything small in the tank. coral bandeds get huge too basketball size. and 10-12 fish? generally rule is about inch per 5 gallons so you got 11 inches full grown size thats pretty much just tang clowns and the goby

The only thing wrong in the post is the trigger. And basket ball size? Their mature size is 3 inches. I recommend the 75g for the tang so I believe everything I mentioned will do great in a 75 as a CUC as fish.

This is their adult size .
They don't get much bigger maybe by an inch or inch an a half but that's bout it. You r lucky to find one that big but it may be some other shrimp tht you saw.

A coral banded shrimp can never be the size of a basketball. Their full size length is 3 inches, 6 with antenna. I don't think a trigger or rang can go in this, but everything else can work.

First, it would be a 'she' if anything. Females are twice the size of males. Plus, and I have to say...pics or it didn't happen! :)

I have been diving on reefs and have seen a few huge banded cleaner shrimp. Maybe not quite the size of a basketball, but much bigger than 3"
In captivity, it might be possible to grow a really big one. Mine hides all the time, but she/he is now at least 3" and still growing.

Back
Top Bottom