7 watts per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just did a huge lighting upgrade and have 7 watts per gallon of pc light a mix of 10,000k and 6500k with a little actinic. What are some coral recomendations for this kind of light?

First of congrats on the Lighting, it always makes it better, but do not be too swayed by the watts per gallon, that measure is really rough and not vey useful. Can you give the dimensions of your tank? The real value of the wattage of the lamps will be depending on how deep the tank is and how direct the light is over the surface. Either way, with that much light there will be all kinds of things you can have, but I would dump the 6500K for some more actinic or 20,000k. Just my preference though, I like the blue not the yellow.

Its a 20 long so I figure I can get plenty penetration. The 6500's were the right price and I am already running a 65 watt 50/50 and 2 tubes of 15 watt actinic that are all for looks and then just added 75 watts of 6500.

I think you could get away with almost any softie and a lot of if not any of the LPS, but with just PC's I think SPS would be a stretch except for the most forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom