Best way to get rid of hair algae, turf algae & grape caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluemoon3622

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 32 gallon reef tank is about 6-7 months old & my 13 gallon fluval reef tank is 8 months old. theyre both in the phase where theyre getting algae but both of them have different types. My 32 gallon is having a hair algae problem where its sticking to rocks, my coral, & the back of the tank. My 13 gallon fluval is growing turf alge & grape caulerpa, which the grape caulerpa had become a problem, taking over the rocks that my kenya tree & pulsating xenia are on. I tried to physically remove it but the toxins within the grape caulerpa irritated my corals & they havent opened since yesterday. What is the best way to tackle this problem? & is there anything that works that is reef safe?

My 32 gallon reef tank is about 6-7 months old & my 13 gallon fluval reef tank is 8 months old. theyre both in the phase where theyre getting algae but both of them have different types. My 32 gallon is having a hair algae problem where its sticking to rocks, my coral, & the back of the tank. My 13 gallon fluval is growing turf alge & grape caulerpa, which the grape caulerpa had become a problem, taking over the rocks that my kenya tree & pulsating xenia are on. I tried to physically remove it but the toxins within the grape caulerpa irritated my corals & they havent opened since yesterday. What is the best way to tackle this problem? & is there anything that works that is reef safe?
For the hair algae, you can add a lawnmower blenny ( Salarias fasciatus), sea urchins or go with Mexican Turbo snails or Astrea snails. For the turf algae, Urchins or the 2 snails I mentioned should take care of the issue. For the grape calurpa, I'd get some long tweezers and physically remove it from the areas you do not want it to grow. No fish I know of will work in that small of a tank.
:(

For the hair algae, you can add a lawnmower blenny ( Salarias fasciatus), sea urchins or go with Mexican Turbo snails or Astrea snails. For the turf algae, Urchins or the 2 snails I mentioned should take care of the issue. For the grape calurpa, I'd get some long tweezers and physically remove it from the areas you do not want it to grow. No fish I know of will work in that small of a tank.

Thank you! I currently have one tuxedo urchin, 2 bumblebee snails, 4 blue hermits & a peppermint shrimp in my biocube but it doesnt seem to be doing much. I might go with the Mexican turbo snails because When I had astrea snails, I would always come home to one dead after being out of town for more than a day because they can flip themselves over & I wasnt there to help. I will try the snails & an urchin for the grape calurpa, but yeah I dont keep fish in my 13 fluval anyways because its used as a fragging tank/ quarentine tank if my clowns or corals have an infection.

Also, Will the toxins in the grap calurpa harm the corals I have in there? The first time I tried to physically remove it all of my corals closed up for days.

Also, Will the toxins in the grap calurpa harm the corals I have in there? The first time I tried to physically remove it all of my corals closed up for days.
I'm not sure if it even creates a toxin to be honest but what you can do is clip or remove the caulerpa and then do a water change OR use a product called PolyFilter ( https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm ) which is a pad that absorbs organics and metals and more which should help remove any toxins. Keep in mind that if the plant is producing a toxin, it's usually to fend off rival plants so it may not be as toxic to the corals. It may just be an irritant. Did your corals open back up? If they did, it could have been your manipulation in the tank that caused the corals to close up. ??
You may actually want to remove all of it if you are concerned about any chemical releases when you trim it. Caulerpa is best in a refugium more than a display tank anyway. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom