A couple of questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
The first is from my 7 year old daughter. She would like to know if fish see in color or black and white like her fav. friends dogs, horses, and ponies? I love it when the little ones stump me!

Second we purchaced Formula 2 frozen cubes recently to add more virety in our guys diet. The cubes don't melt. How do you work/feed with these? Does anyone have any experience?

im pretty sure u just press them up against teh side of the tank.

All my frozen foods I put into a little cup with some vitamins and let it thaw in that for a couple hours before I dump it in. Just be careful and feed a quarter of it first before dumping in the whole cube. But basically just throw the cube/piece in the tank. Things like beef hearts and bloodworms can make a huge mess if not eaten. Might wanna turn your filter off too. And I wanna know if they see in color or not too...

This is the answer I found.

Most fish see in color. "Experimental evidence indicates that many shallow-water fishes, if not all, have color vision and see some colors especially well," says the Encyclopedia Britannica, "but some bottom-dwelling shore fishes live in areas where the water is sufficiently deep to filter out most, if not all, colors." These bottom dwellers do not respond to color differences when tested in shallow waters.

my frozen cubes i cut off the filters and pumps to the sump and i hold it in front of a power head and just rub it in my fingers this way if you have any corals it gets to the hole tank and to any part of the tank were certain fish like to stay but like mark said you dont want to get alot of uneaten food in the tank so try to only let it melt as much as they eat.

I put mine in a kids medicine cup and place on top of my light cover. They melt pretty quick. Thanks for the fish vision question and answer! Now I know. And knowing is half the battle!

I've also found the Formula2 cubes seem to have more "gel" to them than any other frozen foods. Seems like all of that brand do. You're right... they stay cubes even after you've melted them! You just have to mash them up real good with a fork.

I agree with Kurt, the gel based cubes don't melt. They pretty much feed the bottom dwellers in my tank (when I rarely buy the gel cubes).
You could mash them or try to cut them into tiny pieces.

Back
Top Bottom