Acans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are nice. I have 3 acans in my tank and love them. got a great deal on a nice one with about 15 heads.....of course, it is my favorite :)

These officially got the seal of approval from the wife last night who was walking past the tank and commented on how nice they looked :)

Now she wants birdnests, but I need to get my alk in line first.

These officially got the seal of approval from the wife last night who was walking past the tank and commented on how nice they looked :)

Now she wants birdnests, but I need to get my alk in line first.

Always important :D

Yes, getting the wife's approval is paramount ;)

She wants me to pick up a 75 this week :eek:

Indeed.

WRT the placement, do acans do best on the sandbed, or should I move them halfway up the tank?

If you don't want them to just look like a huge ball of acan heads then put them on the rock. However the ball look is really cool IMO

will they encrust the rock? if so, they would eventually start encroaching on my zoas...

It will take a long time. They're relatively slow growers. Mine grow like 6 new heads and then nothing for a couple months. Then rinse and repeat

Either way...the acans should leave the zoas alone, right? Or will I have to break them up like my kids when they're fighting?

Yeah mr_x was right I had it backwards, the lords should be fine it's the encantias that are the aggressive ones.

They're happy in the tank :)
63298-albums13650-picture66249.jpg

Noob question: is it safe to frag inside the tank? Let's say if they do start to encroach on each other, can you just frag one of them (the acans or zoas)? Still trying to figure out the whole coral thing.

Why would you want to? Arms in the tank with a scalpel or screw driver scraping zoas off of a rock sounds quite difficult. Plus, it's going to be tough saving the frag this way.
As for the acans, I wouldn't frag them with anything less than a dremel with a diamond bit. This, you wouldn't want to submerge in salt water ;)

What if you have the coral glued in? I don't really understand the whole fragging thing. I finally understand the water and fish. Now it's just corals...

Well, I like to glue some corals to a small rock, which can be easily removed. Others that are attached to large rocks at the bottom of the pile, I just leave be and let nature take it's course.

Back
Top Bottom