Adding more sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppavlik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gl that has been p and runnung for about 6 months, all of my levels are good but I would like to add more sand. I am going to be adding about 30lbs of live rock and I only have about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of sand, I have a bunch of the 'pods" in the sand and in my filter.

My question is ...can i just add the new sand and carefully mix it around with the old stuff ( after taking all of the steps before adding to tank), I know it cant be that simple

on a side note...I have these tubular white things growing all over a rock, they are very small, 1/8th to 1/4 inch at most, they have a crown of small tentacle like things and there are a ton of them, they have placed themselves right under the water flos from my HOB filter.

Are they a good thing and what are they.

as always thanks for taking a look....this site, and its members give newbies like me a fightin chance.

Hi! I would suggest adding about 1/2 " of depth at a time. This way you wont smother the pods and the other critters in the sand bed. Add 1/2" and wait about a week before adding the next layer. Also make sure the rock is cured before adding it to your already established system.
As for the white worms, no worry. Its a sign of good things happening in you system. :D

Back
Top Bottom