Advice on next fish purchases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

I'm trying to plan out the fish that I eventually want to get to fill out the tank (see below for what I have already). Eventually, I'd like to get some corals as well so don't want to get any fish that will chew them up. I've been thinking about (not necessarily all of these, but just a list to choose from) a flame angel (for a red), coral beauty, scooter blenny, and a royal gramma. Perhaps even finish off with a yellow tang (I've heard they are pretty territorial and should be added last) or a lemon peel (for a yellow).

Eventually, I want to upgrade to at least a 90 gal, at which point the possibilities really open up (triggers, other tangs, etc, that need more room).

Anyway, I'd appreciate a sanity check on this list -- whether they are all compatible and reef safe. Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions that would mix well with the kole tang and clowns I have already.

Many thanks!
Matt

Pick one of the pygmy angel, not all of them. Pick only tangs that do not resemble each other. Green chromis are great in schools of 3 to 6. Same with pj cardinals. You could also go with most any of the gobies. You probably won't be able to get a trigger if you want a reef setup, cause they will eat your cleaners. Scooter blennies have lots of personality and also the lawnmower blenny.

a flame angel (for a red), coral beauty,
One or the other. always a crap shoot with coral.
and a royal gramma.
super choice!!!
Perhaps even finish off with a yellow tang
Only if you are doing the upgrade. A tang needs at least a 75 gallon IMO>
scooter blenny
Cute fish, but can be tough. Do you have a good pod population? They are not really blennies, but dragonete's like a mandarin. Have tough feeding requirements.
I would highly consider an upgrade (tank size) for the animals you are proposing. IMO the Kole will outgrow the real estate you have now. Very easy to overdo it

Thanks, Everyone -- te more opinions, the better :)

Perhaps let me ask this way as well then: I knew the the Kole would probably outgrow the tank we have when we got him -- and my wife and I realize the best thing to do may be to trade him in (as opposed the upgrade expense right away). So if I were start over with just the clowns (kids love 'em), what would you recommend to fill the tank out -- again, with some forethought to keeping corals later on?

Thanks.
Matt

From your list
Royal Gramma for sure.
Centropyge Angel, only one and a risk with corals. I believe a risk worth taking.
A few other thoughts, not all of the below but just some ideas.
1.Some kind of dartfish.
2.Some kind of Blenny.
3.Chromis, small school.
4.Damsel, know they have a bad rap, but some are quite nice. Take a look at my Statkii in my gallery, beautiful fish.
5.Small Wrasse like a 6 line.
6.Pseudochromis, aggressive but reef safe.
7. Goby of some sort.
These fish are all reef and invert safe, take a look at our guide. May give you some more ideas.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php

Thanks, Kurt! sounds like sage advice, and that compatibility chart is great -- it's already printed out and puinch into my notebook for reference. I've actually looked for something like that here on aa, but never found a like to it -- oh, well.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted -- will probably get something new once I find someone to take the mantis shrimp that's in my QT now.

Thanks again.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom