Algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Best way to get rid of this ?

I'm using a carbon and gfo reactor and phosphate is at 0 or at least it's reading 0. But this is what I'm getting. I change water weekly. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20160110_180803841.jpg
    IMG_20160110_180803841.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20160110_180811308.jpg
    IMG_20160110_180811308.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20160110_180820640.jpg
    IMG_20160110_180820640.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 109
I don't see any problems. There is no such thing as an algae free system. You will get growth on the glass and rocks. I see your dry rock 'aging' and getting color to them and algae on the glass that can get scrapped off...
Only other thing would be the diatoms in the sand, but that is from silicates.

Pretty soon those rocks will lose that green color and the whole rock will darken in color. Like Hank said these things aren't really problems and that's part of the rock aging. As for the algae on the glass I got a nice 4inch razor blade scraper from Walmart for like $3.. Algae on the glass doesn't stand a chance and I scrape once every other week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like it's the shade of green before its turns purple into the coralline algae. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank looks pretty darn good. I see no problems.
I allow one end panel and the back to completely covered with algae, gives the snails and pods something to munch on.

I'm actually thinking of getting either a lawnmower blenny or a tang to help minimize the algae on the rocks. I'd rather not get a tang due to only have a 70 gallon tank. Would the blenny do the job? Do all tangs love algae ?

I'm actually thinking of getting either a lawnmower blenny or a tang to help minimize the algae on the rocks. I'd rather not get a tang due to only have a 70 gallon tank. Would the blenny do the job? Do all tangs love algae ?
In my opinion the best choice of tang for you would be a Kole tang they are a real worker and one of the smallest tangs.

It will require a varied diet that includes Nori

Back
Top Bottom