Oil surface cause may be damaging my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordzcov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Firstly, apologies as I know I have asked questions about an oily surface before.

Nothing I do gets rid of it. I have tried the kitchen towel/skimming techniques, as well as dipping a cup just below the surface to collect it, but within a few days/weeks it returns. So just now live with it.

However, I’m seeing a constant drop in my fish numbers (roughly 5 deaths since mid Feb).
Water parameters are all fine for a 60L tank housing now 2 Tetra and 5 harlequins Rasbora
Ammonia -0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0/5
PH - 8
Kh - 8

The fish seem to pick up some form of illness associated with weakened immune systems, and then die within a few days, regardless of what treatment is used. Both myself and the aquarium store staff have no idea what’s causing it. The only thing I can think of thats wrong with the tank is this oily surface issue. While it may not be directly harming the fish, I’m concerned whatever causes this issue, is that what is impacting the fish 'behind the scenes'

Any advice?

Not sure about the deaths, but I had an oily surface in all of my tanks due to low water movement and the only thing that absolutely worked for me was an airpump! You can get them on amazon for like 5$, but they disturb the water's surface without increasing flow. If you have high flow and an oily surface, I wouldn't really know how to help from experience but I have heard that you can get like a circulation pump and point it at the surface of the water to disturb it enough to prevent the oil buildup.

Hi,
so i have a filter with an output nozzle, its currently pointed at a 45 degree angle close to the surface, so creates surface dension and some firectional flow. there a gap aroun the nozzle with no oil due to the distrubed water, but thats it.

Im assuming its what ever is causing the oily surface is whats damaging the fish's health, but nothing i do seems to get rid of it permenantly.

Hi,
so i have a filter with an output nozzle, its currently pointed at a 45 degree angle close to the surface, so creates surface dension and some firectional flow. there a gap aroun the nozzle with no oil due to the distrubed water, but thats it.

Im assuming its what ever is causing the oily surface is whats damaging the fish's health, but nothing i do seems to get rid of it permenantly.
Again I don’t really think I have enough experience to say specifically what could be killing your fish, but people have said that a biofilm on the top of your tank could inhibit oxygen exchange in the tank, another reason to possibly add an air pump; but I honestly don’t think that is the reason because of the fact you said some of the tank’s surface isn’t covered by it (so o2 exchange still should be happening).

I had a betta that seemed to get sick after the biofilm occurred, but it turned out to be other genetic issues, so basically it could be a variety of reasons even if the tank is in perfect condition.

Hi,

If there is a film at the surface, it is reducing the exchange of gases so the dissolved oxygen level in the water is diminished. You need to either get a stronger filter pump or an air pump and air stone to agitate the water surface.
As for the cause of the slick, that could be from oils in a food, a fertilizer, dust in the air, something being sprayed in the house, (the list is long. ) For example: My Asian neighbor couldn't keep a Betta alive in her house. I know she was getting good quality fish because they were coming from my back porch ( I was breeding the Bettas ;) ). I finally went over to her house and saw that she was keeping the fish in the kitchen, across from the stove where she cooked in a wok with peanut oil and it was causing a slick in the tank. I suggested she move the fish to another room so it went into the dining room which was behind a wall that separated the kitchen from the dining room. The same result, she lost the fish. I went back over and sure enough, there was an oil slick on the top of the water. It was coming from the kitchen.
So could something you may be spraying in the house be getting into the tank?

If there is a film at the surface, it is reducing the exchange of gases so the dissolved oxygen level in the water is diminished. You need to either get a stronger filter pump or an air pump and air stone to agitate the water surface.
As for the cause of the slick, that could be from oils in a food, a fertilizer, dust in the air, something being sprayed in the house, (the list is long. ) For example: My Asian neighbor couldn't keep a Betta alive in her house. I know she was getting good quality fish because they were coming from my back porch ( I was breeding the Bettas ;) ). I finally went over to her house and saw that she was keeping the fish in the kitchen, across from the stove where she cooked in a wok with peanut oil and it was causing a slick in the tank. I suggested she move the fish to another room so it went into the dining room which was behind a wall that separated the kitchen from the dining room. The same result, she lost the fish. I went back over and sure enough, there was an oil slick on the top of the water. It was coming from the kitchen.
So could something you may be spraying in the house be getting into the tank?
Hi,
I did som e online research a while back, so made sure there were no sprays,candles, scents etc in the room, and it is away from the kitchen (and with a lid on).
I even tried buying new fish flakes, and reduced the amount they were given, and even tried feeding once every other day. I also stopped adding any additional elements such as plant tabs and plant foods incase this was the cause.
When some fish died i did take a water sample to the store to be tested, and they said oxygen levels were fine (but this could hvae been after a water change where the oil was minimum).
As a result i have no idea whats causing the oil and why it keeps returning.
Out of curiosity, would excess bacteria cause this? i use the bio balls and place one in the filter once a month, but they seem to take longer than a month to dissolve, so have slowly collected. would thig have any impact?

Hi,
I did som e online research a while back, so made sure there were no sprays,candles, scents etc in the room, and it is away from the kitchen (and with a lid on).
I even tried buying new fish flakes, and reduced the amount they were given, and even tried feeding once every other day. I also stopped adding any additional elements such as plant tabs and plant foods incase this was the cause.
When some fish died i did take a water sample to the store to be tested, and they said oxygen levels were fine (but this could hvae been after a water change where the oil was minimum).
As a result i have no idea whats causing the oil and why it keeps returning.
Out of curiosity, would excess bacteria cause this? i use the bio balls and place one in the filter once a month, but they seem to take longer than a month to dissolve, so have slowly collected. would thig have any impact?
What kind of bioball?

What kind of bioball?
Bio balls (again, havent actually added any new ones for a while) - EVOLUTION AQUA PURE AQUARIUM 50 BALLS FISH TANK START UP CLEAR WATER TREATMENT | eBay

This is my water conditioner, and have the same brand Bio booster (will usually add a small top up each water change) - Fluval AquaPlus 250ml BUY ONE GET ONE FREE Water Conditioner Dechlorinator Fish | eBay

And have this fish food - TETRA TETRAMIN 52g,100g,200g,2100g AQUARIUM TROPICAL FISH TANK FLAKE FOOD | eBay

I use that food and 100% that causes surface film in my aquarium. I can actually see the protein coming out of the flakes when its sitting on the surface.

I only recently swapped to it in the hopes that it would stop the oil, so it had existed before the flakes to

this i think - AquaCare Tropical Flakes

At one point as stated, i was feeding every other day incase it was the food, but it still made no difference. i also feed them some garlic shrimp once a week

this i think - AquaCare Tropical Flakes

At one point as stated, i was feeding every other day incase it was the food, but it still made no difference. i also feed them some garlic shrimp once a week
If you can, please attach a 1 minute video of your tank showing the surface, filter outlet, inside the filter as well as an overall shot of the entire tank and fish. That said, I can see how the food will end up being the culprit because garlic leaves an oil slick when it's crushed and since you only feed it once a week, it may just be part of the problem. With a reduced amount of surface agitation, your filter may not be breaking it up to remove it. The bioballs are a new item to me. I haven't seen them in the states. I'd be curious to see if you put one in a clear container and let it dissolve if that leaves a slick at the surface. :unsure:

Yea no problem, I do my water changes on a saturday, so ill video next week so you can see what its like (none visible at the moment). The balls seem a solid product, and its not as if the issue started as soon as i used them, it was more of a general thought if excess bacteria can cause the film, or maybe its the slow build up of these balls (which is why again i havent really added any for a while)

Yea no problem, I do my water changes on a saturday, so ill video next week so you can see what its like (none visible at the moment). The balls seem a solid product, and its not as if the issue started as soon as i used them, it was more of a general thought if excess bacteria can cause the film, or maybe its the slow build up of these balls (which is why again i havent really added any for a while)
Okay, since you don't see any film now, do not use anything other than the flake food for a few days and see if there is a slick. If not, add 1 thing ( i.e the garlic shrimp or the bioball or a fertilizer or a ....) for a few days and see if the slick reappears. If not, add 1 more item until you see which is causing the slick. (y) Still post the video so we can check your filter or other possibilities.

Will do, but i can confirm from the past few weeks that ive limitted adding everything, other than daily flakes and the film will return :lol:

Will do, but i can confirm from the past few weeks that ive limitted adding everything, other than daily flakes and the film will return :lol:
Then that points towards the flakes being the most likely cause. It's most likely a " protein" film which is the end product of eaten fish foods (A.K.A. Poo ) and uneaten food. But since you are still adding other things, even in a reduced amount, it could still be something else. You just it need to be introduced once for the slick to be there. Also, what kind of fish are in the tank?

As mentioned here is the video. Water change was done on Saturday( 5 days ago). Nothing has been added apart from a pinch of food daily. If ore the green tint, it is due to medication added last week which changes the waters colour.

Back
Top Bottom