Algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nassarius aren't really good for algae control, only cleaning up what causes the algae before it happens. I would recommend the cerith as well at the very least. They will help with the algae in the sand.

Cheers
Steve

OK I'll get some nassarius and some cerith then - can both of these right themselves if they fall over?

What does it mean if the nassarius are not in the sand?

steve-s said:
All snails will migrate between the rock and glass. The only one that will remain soley in the sand is the nassarius but it will do nothing for the algae on the rock.

Cheers
Steve

I came home to an ailing tank and was searching this site for some clues when I ran across your quote. My three nassarius were all out on the glass midday, moving up and away from the sand. The bubble anemones are as retracted as I have ever seen them, and worry me the most, but all the fish seem fine. Still working through this one but for now, what if anything does it mean to see the nassarius out under high MH light?

They will climb the glass occasionally but it's nothing to be concerned about. The jist of my previous post was that their preference is the sandbed so they will not really benefit other area's of the tank. Being out and about during the day usually means there's food in the water or you have no predaceous fish species.

Cheers
Steve

My LFS can only get hold of Ceriths, and Zebra turbos apparently...

Will a selection of these 2 help my algae problem in the sand? Can the zebra turbos right themselves if they fall over?

Apparently Zebra Turbo is just another name for Nassarius :p

MarkW19 said:
Apparently Zebra Turbo is just another name for Nassarius :p
Sure it's not a banded trochus? Or did you see what they look like?

Both of these snails will help greatly with your algae issues, the cerith moreso. If the "zebra" is a nassarius, it will help prevent more problems but will not really help remove the algae you have now. If a trochus, it will not normally go near the sandbed but it is an excellent algae grazer. All three can easily right themselves.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom