algae scrubber vs skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrvat31

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been wanting to start a saltwater tank for a while but i'm trying to make it cheap but efficient. I heard that a diy algae scrubber is better and cheaper tell me what you guys think.

I've only heard good things about algae scrubbers. I think a skimmer would be an asset to have also though.

As I was saying, i'm trying to keep out as cheap as possible so how essential is a skimmer. If I can live without a skimmer tell me.

How big is the tank? I have heard people say you can do without a skimmer on tanks under 55g. I am a big fan of a skimmer and I do think they help. Have you looked into a DIY skimmer? I also think that saltwater and cheap don't really go hand in hand if you want to do it right.

Well if I can so something for cheap all do it but if I have to spend money I will. Also diy algae scrubbers are very efficient but a lot of diy protein skimmers are not very efficient. also it is a 20 gallon. Thanks for you opinion and help.

In a 20g you could get away without a skimmer for sure. You could get away without a filter altogether actually. Research the Berlin method of filtration, no mechanical, just natural...

I thought that was just the minimum for a saltwater aquarium. But if I added a algae scrubber it would be even better. So i'm still gonna go with an algae scrubber. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom