Alkalinity won't rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpt100

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Reef Gurus! I tested my tank and my parameters are as follows:
KH: 7
Cal: 440
Mag:1320
Temp: 80
S: 1.025
65 gal lightly stocked mixed reef

This was about a week ago. I've been adding KH and testing everyday and it won't rise. I bounce around from 6-7 and can't get it to go any higher. I add the total amount that the bottle (kent KH) recommends (16ml) and still nothing. I've had the tank for about 7 months and never had this problem before. What do you guys recommend I should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could be your test chemical are the problem. Do you have an lfs that can test for you?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How often are your water changes and with what salt? Have you tested directly after a water change?

I do them every week and use kent salt. I did a WC today in the morning and tested an hr later and it tested 6 again. I've dosed in the morning and tested later in the afternoon and still test low. It's like I never added anything

Hmm this may seem weird, but have you tested the water change water BEFORE it goes into the tank? if you are starting out with super low alkalinity then that would make sense why nothing seems to work.
Another option, if you are getting low on salt, is to change mixes. You should have a higher reading after a fresh water change, all levels should be at the top of where they should be. Kent from what information I have also tends to have a higher alkalinity level, so no idea why youre having this issue.

Whats your ph look like?

Thanks for the help. I tested my ph and it shows at 8.1. I did a water change yesterday morning and tested today and it's at 8, not too bad. That's the highest it's been lol. I added a little more than half of the bottle recommendation and I'll check tomorrow and see where it's at

I use kent salt also and see the same thing i use a tea spoon of baking soda every water change helps raise it some , i also supplement part a daily to keep kh up in range

you could also try opening a window the tank is in this should also help raise your kh and ph

if you have a glass top you may want to think of going with either a mesh or egg crate top this would allow better gas exchange also helping raise kh and ph
the only time i use enclosed top is in the colder months

Got it. Thx. My tank is open on the top. I'll try the baking soda and see if it helps me. Any idea why the alkalinity won't rise above 7?

most of the time this happens in the colder months cause all windows are closed
also happens in summer months cause some use a/c 24/7 this will slow down gas exchange
opening windows helps bring in the fresh air speeding up the gas exchange
im in the mountains 10,050 ft elevation my gas exchange is slow cause the air is thinner
even with windows open
i even run air in air out fans to help with exchange
its become a challenge since i recently lost the use of my left arm
i drive my daughter nuts cause she now does what i cant
one question i forgot to ask do you use ro/di or tap water
tap water makes it hard to keep a stable kh also
i mix the baking soda into water i mix for water change
dont add it straight into tank as it wont desolve

Thx again. I use RO/DI water. I never knew about the gas exchange thing with the fresh air. Good to know. I'll keep the windows open to help it. I'll also try the baking soda with the water changes

Back
Top Bottom