high alkalinity issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reachinghigher4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for looking at this thread

I've had aquariums before so not exactly new to the environment but has been a few years since I've started one and never had this issue before (new to the city I live in so first time with this water).

I'm dealing with high alkalinity in my 37gal freshwater tank. I have live plants 80% live), air stones both long bar and decorations mid-size stone, upgraded filter system etc. After struggling with repeated water changes (25-50% each time along with decorations/plant removal for complete access to substrate), Seachem Prime water treatments along with others etc found out that the tap water that I'm using has an already high alkalinity content (attached pictures of both the tank, supply faucet water test results and current tank setup).

I've been getting so many different directions to pursue on correction of water. I do NOT have access to well water, do NOT have the finances to order aquarium water delivered and supplied. Some have told me that I need to do a quarter water change with either distilled or purified water. If I do that, I'm worried about the Ph being thrown out and is this something that I need to do EVERY water change as I'm averaging at least 2xs a week with current conditions.

My BIGGEST concern is the health of the fish and Drawf Frogs I have in there and do not want them suffering in any way... need to correct this as quickly/safely as possible.

Thank you to everyone that looks/responds to this thread. I'm open for suggestions but hopefully someone that has experienced the same thing.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 52
  • faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 69
  • full tank pic.jpg
    full tank pic.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 67
It's usually better to choose fish species that match your water parameters than changing your water parameters to meet your fish's needs. Here's were you start:
What are your numbers for Ph, Gh & Kh?

total hardness is at 300 (tap and after water treatment). PH is between 7.2-7.8 out of tap and after treatment

total hardness is at 300 (tap and after water treatment). PH is between 7.2-7.8 out of tap and after treatment

You have very good water for many African Cichlid species. Look into fish like Shell dwellers, Julidochromis varieties, Neolamprologus brichardi, or other species that require the higher Gh water. There are African Cichlids that do not require such high GH so do your research and confirm that what you want needs the higher GH water. (y)

Fish like Tetras and Barbs and Catfish ( other than synodontis varieties) all need soft water and even livebearer fish like Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails, etc need water that is not as hard as what you have. The effects of the high GH on these types of fish are a reduced lifespan. They do live in it for a short time but the key word is SHORT time. They will not usually show any signs of the water issue other than being dead when their time is up.

Hope this helps. (y)

thank you so much! I'm definitely NOT familiar with Cichlid species as I've only every done the usual fresh/tropical fish. As I said before, I want to make sure my fish are most importantly healthy and happy. Do feel bad for what I've started out with as they may be suffering. I guess I will try to rehome what I have and go from there.

Thank you again, I TRULY appreciate it and apologies for not responding sooner....work schedule has been crazy.

thank you so much! I'm definitely NOT familiar with Cichlid species as I've only every done the usual fresh/tropical fish. As I said before, I want to make sure my fish are most importantly healthy and happy. Do feel bad for what I've started out with as they may be suffering. I guess I will try to rehome what I have and go from there.

Thank you again, I TRULY appreciate it and apologies for not responding sooner....work schedule has been crazy.

Not to worry. (y)
Unfortunately, this is a typical issue with new people in the hobby which many places take advantage of. :( You see a fish and make a nice home for it in your house but the salesperson doesn't tell you ( or know themselves sometimes) what the best way of keeping that fish is or what it takes to keep that fish for a natural lifespan. Thankfully, if the fish is alive, there is always a chance to remedy things. (y)
In the future, research is king in this hobby. The #1 thing to research is the water requirements. #2 is the appropriate tank size ( length and width) for the specie. #3 is appropriate tankmates if this is not going to be a species only tank. From there you can go to diet, lifespan, etc. (y)(y)
It's a fun hobby when you get good info. I've been at it for over 50 years. ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom