Amount of flow in a sps tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Amount of flow in a sps tank?

At the moment i have a 100 gal sps dominated tank which at the minute has 2 x 6000 streams (7000l/h each) controlled by the multicontroller. And a deltec hlp 4040 (running at 2000l/h). And this gives me a turnover of around 25 to 30x. But i am going to up this by adding 2 6100 streams which i am getting second hand. Which if everything is running full blast will give a turnover of over 100 x . I am going to have the 2 6000 under the rockwork so to keep the detrious in suspension and then have the two 6100s in the back corners of the tank.

But i am thinking would it be best to acclimatise the fish and corals to the extra water movement, by using the multicontroller and having it on a low setting and then up it by 5% a week, or something like that.

What do you guys have as turnovers,i know this isnt a good way to judge as you should be looking at random flow etc.

Andrew

To me, 100x sounds like way to much. Sps, I would suggest 20x at most. 10x in a reef is the norm.

Squishy

squishy,

i am just wondering why you have said 20x for sps. As where these corals come from, which is the reef flat, the water movement there is way over what 100x would be. So i am wondering why you suggest 20x as surely we want to keep these corals in similar environments in which they live naturally?

Andrew

Big difference in changing the water in a large environment like the ocean and in a little box like ours. In the ocean there are spots where the current is very strong, then places a few feet away where it is much slower due to land formations and such. In your tank...I would think it would be like living in a tidal pool.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom