Anemone behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a medium sized Sebae anemone that has been doing fine (unless it's clown feels overly loving that day). My question is ever since the anemone has been in the tank it moves around ONLY in the same little area of about 6in. I tried an experiment 2 weeks ago where I moved him to the other side of the tank. The next morning, he was back in his original spot. Moved him again, same thing. What puzzles me is he moves about once a week but never more than the 6in area he prefers. Is this normal behavior? He seems very healthy, always inflated, mouth always tightly closed, his clown feeds him at every feeding. Water param. are all normal/stable except for a small nitrate spike a few weeks ago when a hermit went insane and killed 4 snails for sport and just left them. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is normal. Do not attempt to move an anenome. This can damage their foot and cause them undo stress. They will find a spot that they like on their own. If your find your anenome is "restless" it may be because it is not happy with the current tank conditions. It may not like the lighting, flow or parameters that currently exsist in your tank. I would say do not bother it for a few days and see if it decides to settle in somewhere on it's own. Hope this helpa sn good luck...Lando

Another related question. Could you encourage an anemone to move by changing the flow pattern? I reason I ask is I have a Condy ($4.50 special...couldn't pass) that is in the middle of the tank I would like to move to either side for the protection of future critters.

No problem. If it stays put it is most likely happy. I have a rose BTA and it has not moved since I intoduced it serveral weeks ago. How about a pic? God luck! Lando

Bearfan...I am no expert but I would assume you can "direct" your anenome with changing the flow pattern. However, this may cause it some stress. I stil say let it be for now if you are problem free. Address issues as they come up in the future. Lando

Bearfan said:
Another related question. Could you encourage an anemone to move by changing the flow pattern? I reason I ask is I have a Condy ($4.50 special...couldn't pass) that is in the middle of the tank I would like to move to either side for the protection of future critters.
Actually if you use a low flow powerhead aimed near it (but not at it) it should not stress it at all. There are a few concerns with trying to do this though.

The anemone may not go in the direction you want and could trample something as it wanders. Where it ends up will also depend on the light intensity. If using PC lights depending on bulb layout, they tend to overlap in the middle creating a "hot spot" of intensity so to speak. If so, the anemone is not likely to remain on the ends of the tank and keep wandering. Might even decide to climb the glass to get the same intensity.

If possible, you might want to build up one or both ends of the tank closer to the surface so it allows the anemone to achieve the same conditions as the middle of the tank. Be sure you create small crevaces or dips in the rock where the anemone can wedge it's foot. A condy will not perch out in the open. Depending on how the main powerheads are positioned, the flow at the ends of the tank may be a bit more brisk than the middle so you may also need to create a small gully where the flow is broken up a bit and the anemone is not being jostled by the flow.

Is it a gigantea or a passiflora?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom