Anemone suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like an anemone eventually....and i'm wondering what kinds i could have.

I've got approx. 3.5 wpg and my tank is 6 months old. I know you need to wait a year before trying an anemone and 4 wpg are recommened for most anemone's. But I also know that some anemone's require smaller amounts of light. I've heard that at 3.5 wpg i could probably keep a BTA and a Condi. However, i'm looking for an anemone that will host my clowns so the condi is out.

Is my only option the BTA? I sure would love a LTA but i fear i would need to upgrade to MH lighting. I would consider upgrading to MH lighting if need be (it''s not a money issue), but i don't want to upgrade my lighting if the 3.5 wpg i have now are sufficient. I do not plan on keeping coral. TIA

If you are favoring a long tentacle anenome over a BTA because you'd rather the long flowing tentacles instead of the compact bulbs, consider that many times BTA's lose that compact appearance and show more elongated tentacles.

From what I've read, and seen on my own (and I'm sure some others with more experience can chime in here), they sometimes keep their bubble tips and sometimes lose them. It may have to do with being stressed while being moved or kept in a temporary tank or have to do with hosting an active clown, or favorable water/lighting conditions. But they change their appearance frequently.

It also seems to be common knowledge here and in other reading that the BTA is one of if not the best choice based on their lighting needs and overall hardiness...

I have a BTA and it's been doing fine for almost 1 month. My tank is only 4 months old. I do have MH lighting though (6.6 WPG)

Most people will tell you to wait until the tank is 9 months old, 6 at least. Everyone could have different results. The more mature the tank the better...

i do like the LTA for it's longer waiving tentacles. The BTA seems like my best bet but i wasn't sure a LTA was out of the question. They are bottom dwellers though so you need the penetration power of MH to reach them. Not sure my 265 CF light will do that. I think i'll try a BTA eventually. I don't want to get into corals just yet so i'll hold off on purchasing the LTA and MH in favor of a BTA.

Now i wonder how i'll go about finding one:(

Have you looked into a rose instead of a plain BTA? Check out my gallery. I have two LTA, 2 BTA and a Rose. The rose is my favorite.

the rose is like 20-30 bucks more than the regular? Is it worth it?

zenn said:
the rose is like 20-30 bucks more than the regular? Is it worth it?

That would be a personal preference. I chose to go with a green BTA simply because I like green better than red.

maporsche said:
I have a BTA and it's been doing fine for almost 1 month. My tank is only 4 months old. I do have MH lighting though (6.6 WPG)

Not to discourage you because this is a great hobby and community, but one month doesn't really show all that much for a stable living organism. I had my bubble tip for around six months under standard fluros for a total of 65w in a 55g tank and it "did great" until one day it just started to die rapidly. All the levels were great and no other signs of stress on other inhabitents.. just the anemone.

Sometimes things take a little bit to show their true colours under certain conditions.

Just to be clear this was in my earlier days and it was a really stupid thing on my part. I'm not much smarter thanks to this forum mostly.

I had two long tenticle anenomie in my tank with 1.5watts per galon and it did fine for over a year( i got rid of them when i got it and replaced them with a green bta) but the two long tenticles were still doing great I just dident like them.

I wonder how on earth that is possible. Surely they must have shrunk and bleeched?

accorddude said:
I had two long tenticle anenomie in my tank with 1.5watts per galon and it did fine for over a year( i got rid of them when i got it and replaced them with a green bta) but the two long tenticles were still doing great I just dident like them.

are you sure they weren't condy's? Cause Condy's look like an LTA.

Back
Top Bottom