Anemones with feet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do anemones move around? I had one toward the front of my tank and this morning it was gone. I looked around, but I did not see it… I am wondering if they can move or if something ate it.

Yep. Anenomes can be very moble if they do not like their current location. The anenome will move to a location that has the desired water flow as well as lighting. The issue is when a coral comes between the anenome and its desired location. Moving anenomes can leave a path of destruction as they move and sting everything in its path.

Putting an anenome back after its moved is useless as it will just move again. The base of the anenome is one big sticky foot that they can use to move. When they are in a place the like they will use the foot to affix themselves to the substrate or rock.

They're notorious for moving when they aren't happy in their current location. Many people have had them get sucked into power heads, baffles and the like. Look around real good. Unhappiness could lead to its death which would be very bad for your tank.

Good luck. I hope he turns up. In the mean time start checking your ammonia.

Bubble tips are know for hiding in caves when something doesn't suit them. Sometimes the lighting is too strong in the begining for them and they move to a shaded area away from the light

How long have you had the BTA and what are your lights?

I got him like a week ago. We have acinic blue and 1000K white, power compacts. 8, 65 watt tubs and 4, 95 watt. Half blue and half white.

Doesn't sound like you have too much light but than again the LFS light where the BTA was help could have been very weak when compared to yours.

I would definatly check any caves, crevices, behind rock work, filter intakes, overlfows, etc. check every where you can and use a flash light to help.

BTA like to hide their foot in crevices and sometimes the bta will withdraw into the crevice

What kind of water are you using and how is the NO3?
If there is too much or not enough flow the anemone will move to where it likes it better.

8, 65 watt tubs and 4, 95 watt.
that is actually a lot of light for a BTA. they generally prefer moderate lighting and it may be hiding in a cave because of the intensity. Give it some time, it may come around.

Back
Top Bottom