Any luck with Tank Raised Clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone had any luck with their tank raised orange ocellaris clowns to host their anemone? I know there are chances where they may never but has anyone had any luck?

Some will and some will never. I actually had success training my clown to host one and after that they were inseparable.

LaWoWee said:
Some will and some will never. I actually had success training my clown to host one and after that they were inseparable.

Hah awesome! How did you train them?

The key is to get them to touch the nem even a little. They will like the feeling and start warming up to it more. I placed my nem in a strainer basket along with my clown toward the top of the tank. Using tweezers i would scare the clown and it would seek refuge into the nem. Once he realized he liked it he just swished around in it all day long. I might as well of put on some r kelly bump and grind for him. Haha. Only took a few days.

LaWoWee said:
The key is to get them to touch the nem even a little. They will like the feeling and start warming up to it more. I placed my nem in a strainer basket along with my clown toward the top of the tank. Using tweezers i would scare the clown and it would seek refuge into the nem. Once he realized he liked it he just swished around in it all day long. I might as well of put on some r kelly bump and grind for him. Haha. Only took a few days.

That's a very smart idea!!!! Too bad my nem is attached to underside of a rock. :(

Beengirl said:
That's a very smart idea!!!! Too bad my nem is attached to underside of a rock. :(

I know what you mean. When nems pick a spot, they really dig their foot in good. Some other suggestions that ive read:

1) post a picture to tank wall of a clown hosting a nem. Sounds Stupid and I tried it with no luck.

2) at feeding time, squirt the food on or near the nem so the clown will go in to get it.

I tried both unsuccessfully but maybe its possible with persistence.

we bought a maroon clownfish and the anm at the same time. basically, we had them in the same bag as we transported them home. we left them together in the same bag for about a hour.
went we let them out, the clownfish immediately hosted the anm.

Maybe I should buy a second nem and do the strainer idea before I place it in the tank and it gets a foothold. Was thinking of getting another one anyways. Hmmmm.....

Yeah I tried the pictures on the wall..that failed haha. Then I tried the strainer and the clown jumped when it touched the nem. I don't really think they'll host. Thinking about getting a new pair and exchanging them for the ones I have now but idk, I like these clowns. Had them for 8 months now.

How big was the strainer? I actually used a small tupperware and cut holes. I gave my nem and clown a small space by raising it up so it was shallow.

image-2580012012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom