Best Reef water testing kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Its about time to replace my kits, and just wondering what everyone uses or considers to be really acurate. Ive been using API, but dont think they have a magnesium test, which I really have been needing.

Theres a lot of other tests ( red sea, salifert, coralife etc) and I'm not sure which to get yet..I do admit the salifert looks pretty impressive, though expensive.

Any links or advice would be appreciated :)

I've been using API for years and they have never led me astray. Your right about the mag test though, I have never seen an API one. For that I just use a red sea kit and it works ok. It's a little bit of a pain though with the tiny syringe and the whole procedure.

I use API and Salifert. I've never had any issues with either of them. I use Salifert for only a couple kits the rest are API.

Salifert is 1 of the most accurate "hobby grade" test kits you can buy. They are way more precise than API. For example, I'm pretty sure API measures calcium in increments of 20 ppm while Salifert is 5 ppm. I think API alk is in increrments of 1 dKH while Salifert is 0.3 dKH.
I only test for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium and use Salifert for all 3.

They are no more complicated than using API, the number of drops is different form kit to kit, but they have detailed instructions with them.

API will cover you for most anything. If you really need precision on certain levels, the new Hanna meters are pretty nice. A lot of people use them for phosphate on large SPS reefs.

I have heard the same thing about API's Calcium test kit, worth getting a higher end kit for Ca.

I used the API for years and I was never got lost. Your right on mag try though, I have never seen a single API.

I use:

Alk-API (I found it is very consistent with the higher end kits but way less money)

Cal-Elos (I didn't like the API, the Salifet is good but I like the steps better with Elos kit)

Mg-Elos (I may try Salifert next, but Elos works good...better than the Red Sea kit)

Phosphate-Hanna meter I have the Checker, works good (I have tried both API and Elos and they always read 0, but its really not 0)

Nitrate-Elos (I have used API, but the low readings are not that low and look very similar making it harder to read, which makes Elos better for SPS tank)

Agree with the others regarding API's calcium test - I found it off a bit, and tough to get consistent values. Salifert seems dead on for me, and very repeatable.

For me, I use:

API - ammonia, nitrites, pH, alkalinity
Salifert - nitrates, calcium, magnesium, phosphates

API's nitrate test kit just isn't sensitive enough if you're looking for anything less than 10ppm. Salifert nitrate can read down to 0.2ppm.

I use API for everything... Seems like several of you do as well. Im getting skeptical of the accuracy however. To date (3 months in) I have never had anything show up for Nitrate, Nitrite or phosphates. I only had a tiny increase in ammonia show up for two tests in the first month...

Any suggestions on how to verify results? A way to test my test accuracy? I suppose I should find a LFS that can test for me. I am not having problems in my tank but shouldn't I see a hint of Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite or phosphate at some point?

Also, are the automated monitors for Ph etc.. accurate?

If you properly cycled your tank, and didn't rush to stock it, you shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites - ever. If your water source is good, your shouldn't really see any phosphates either.

Nitrates might be there, but with an API test kit, you need to get them up to around 10ppm before you start seeing them. And if you're not overfeeding and overstocking, and doing good maintenance, you might not ever see 10ppm. If you pick up a Salifert test kit, I'd bet you see some nitrates. Salifert nitrate kits are more sensitive and you can see lower levels. Even though salt mixes claim "Nitrate-free", they aren't. You're going to get a trace just out of the bucket.

If you calibrate and maintain a pH monitor properly, it should be dead on - within the advertised accuracy levels.

I use:

Salifert: Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity. Others that I have but don't use much are: Iodate/Iodide, Strontium, and Nitrite (because it isn't susceptible to Amine Interference)

API: Nitrate (to verify / read higher levels), Ammonia (almost never). I threw Alk away because I hate having to either get the stuff on my hands or cap, turn over, uncap, drip. Salifert is way, way cleaner and easier. I still have the other APIs w/master kit but don't ever use them.

Hanna Meter: TDS / pH combo (won't ever go back to anything else)

Back
Top Bottom