bio load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
question about one's vio load. i understand it butmy question is how could i make my bio load bigger. and what do you think the bio load on a 55 gallon tank is?
thanks michael

You want to increase your bioload? Add more fish or feed more often. Just about anything to dirty up the water.

Now I think what you ment to ask was this. How do I increase my bioload capacity. Allowing your system to support more fish, etc. Well the best way is to get a larger tank. Another way is to use a large sump to increase your total water capacity of the system. For example if you have a 55 and you get a 30 gal sump your total effective water capacity will go up to approx 75 gal or so. Now doing this does not enhance the filtration capacity so to do that you would need more live rock in the sump for additional bio filtration. A larger, oversized, skimmer will also improve water qulity to allow for more of a bio load.

Its important to note that having even a huge water capacity does not make up for having a small display tank. For example if you put another 55 gal tank in as a sump your effective water capacity would be around 100 gal but your display tank would still only be the size of a 55 gal tank and overcrowding of fish can be just as detrmental as having to much of a bioload on the system.

i see thanks. i just got my 55 back up and running after 1 year of being down. i just got done last night and i just order 36lbs of LR last night too so it should be here tuesday. i know 36lbs is not much but i will add over time. i am looking to get my tank as nice as your there fishfreak. but i have a lot of ground to make up. i just looked at your tank on the pics man what a tank. great job! question about water circulation. i have a 55 gallon and only 1 maxi jet 900 power head what your you suggest for water movment? should i go buy another one or 2?
thanksi going to tank a pic of my tank now and post it later!
thanks michael :mrgreen:

I have a 40 g with a 30 g sump/fuge- I have 1 200gpm and 1 400gpm PH + the return line from my sump pump about 600 gpm. Don't forget the overflow, that in effect creates a current and moves 600 gpm as well. Can't have too much water movement. My tank and fuge are crystal clear and the critter doing quite well :D

I have a 40 g with a 30 g sump/fuge- I have 1 200gpm and 1 400gpm PH + the return line from my sump pump about 600 gpm. Don't forget the overflow, that in effect creates a current and moves 600 gpm as well. Can't have too much water movement. My tank and fuge are crystal clear and the critter doing quite well :D

Back
Top Bottom