BIOWHEELS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know or use MARINELAND BIOWHEELS?

Are they any good?

I have two of them but I'm not sure wether to use them or not, Do they work or not?

Are there any downfalls to them?

Thanks.

I have heard that they can be nitrate generators. I had them on for over a year on my FOLR tank and never had any nitrate issues. Most links that talk about them do not recommend them.

Mine is really noisy, I do not like to listen to the water running all the time. Does anyone else have this problem?[center:1ebd60521d][/center:1ebd60521d]

I find mine very effective/efficient. My tank is a 29 gal. reef with no sump or fuge. I have LR and LS so the bio-wheel, etc. have been removed. Between the 280 gals. an hour circulated by the filter and the water circulated by the maxi-jet 1200 pump running my skimmer, I don't use any thing else for circulation. Also when I do choose to use GAC or mechanical filtration I just slide it in the HOB filter, easy! There also is minimal noise, just keep the water level correct. (to prevent salinity changes water levels must be monitored anyways)

I know so many are so reluctant to try these, surprising though considering that the aquaculture uses them all over the place, but can I recommend a fludized bed filter like the Rainbow Lifegard FB300, these are really excellent, very simple, almost silent very flexible in terms of bio-load, and down right cheap.

Tom

Right on.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm gonna ditch the BIOWHEEL idea and go BED FILTER

Thanks for the info

Most people don't use them because the majority in the hobby have turned to natural filtration like live sand and/or live rock. With such there is no need for external filtration and you get a ton of biological diversity along with it.

Back
Top Bottom