bleach used to clean, can liverock be salvaged?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6Speed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. :) I just picked up a 65 gallon tank from my friend who wanted to get rid of it. It was sitting in his basement with about 100lbs of liverock and a 3" aragonite sandbed. It had a lot of algae growing in it, but no fish or anything...so he decided to put bleach in it to kill the algae. Well, this was months ago, and for a while now it's been sitting empty till I bought it from him. Is there any way I can salvage the liverock (now dead of course), and use it as base rock? How bout the Aragonite?

If so, how do I go about getting it ready to use in the tank?

Thanks!
Zack

I would think if you washed it and placed it in the sun a few days to dry it would be fine. The chlorine is probably already gone but what is left of it will evaporate in the sun.

I have used bleach to kill bad stuff on base rock. I let it set in the sun for 5-7 days before adding it to the tank though. If it smells like bleach after that, I just let it sit longer.

I thought I had read that the chlorine would soak up into the liverock and stay there for a long time? I'm glad to read that other people have been ok with the whole bleach thing...I was really scared I might not be able to use all that liverock. Now my only problem is buying enough liverock to stack up high in this tall tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom