BRS Two-part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone use the BRS Two-part Ca, Alk, Mag. kit? If so, what do you think of it?
I've always used other products, and am thinking of switching to this.
Thanks

I loved it with the 1.1mL dosers, I am trying Klak now just becuase I never have and wanted to see if I like it better than 2 part.

bavass said:
I loved it with the 1.1mL dosers, I am trying Klak now just becuase I never have and wanted to see if I like it better than 2 part.

Do you mean the automatic dosers?

Cool, I hate switching stuff. I've used Reef Buffer and liquid Ca for years, but was thinking this would be better.
Was it hard to set it up on the dosers? I want to eventually get some of those too.

Even tho the BRS kit is cheap, you can save yourself some money.
The alk part is nothing more than either sodium bicarbonate for recipe 2 (regular Arm&Hammer baking soda) or sodium carbonate - soda ash for recipe 1 (Arm&Hammer baking soda that is baked in the oven for 1 hr).
The mag part is 2 types of magnesium. You can get the magnesium sulfate at your local Rite Aid or CVS. It's Epsom salts. The magnesium chloride is MagFlake Ice Melt, but you may have a hard time finding that in Fla, so you would probably have to order it.
I've been making my own 2-part for years.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:
Very easy to set up on dosers. Just keep track how much you dose a week and however many mL you dose a week is how many minutes you run the dosers.

Sorry, premature post...
I asked a good LFS, and he said that it's dangerous to use. Any reason why? I don't normally but this stuff there anyway, so I don't think he was just trying to sell me, but it's possible.
I will def check out the link!! Anything I can save right now, would help a lot. I get a lot of heat for my hobby from the wife. Job has been pretty unstable lately... After 16 years at the same grind!

bavass said:
Very easy to set up on dosers. Just keep track how much you dose a week and however many mL you dose a week is how many minutes you run the dosers.

Cool, sounds pretty easy. Thanks for the info.

He didn't really explain it, just kinda winced and said you could easily overdose. But I guess that's with almost anything.

Thanks for the info cc...good stuff, I'm going to try to round up the materials to start doing it that way. My heads spinning!

The only things you would probably need to buy from BRS is the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Being I live in PA and both are used as ice melts, I was able to buy the exact same things from in the 2-part article. I bought 2 50lb bags ($17 each) of DowFlake (calcium chloride) and a 50 lb bag ($14) of MagFlake (magnesium chloride) both of which will last forever. :)
You should have no problems finding Arm&Hammer baking soda and Espom salts.

Last edited:
I'm going to see if Home D will order some for me, their other stores get it, they should be able to order some. I might have to pay an order charge, but it would probably be less than a shipping charge from some other company. Then I've got it, like you said 3- 50# bags should last a long time.
Thanks again!!

Cc, thank you so much!! I was getting the run-around from the Depot... To the point of asking what I needed it for, I don't even look like your typical terrorist!! Give me a break!!
That's awesome. Can't afford a lot right now, so to be able to get less than a 5 gal bucket is really cool.
I owe you big!!
Thanks again..... Toby G.

Back
Top Bottom