canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogfish2806

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I just want to start by saying I know canister filters are not great for salt watert tanks. However, i do not want to re create a whole new tank because I am moving and also have a drilled 300 gallon tank waiting to be set up. Currently I have a 75 gallon tank with live rock, live sand and fish. I have a fluval fx5 and a red sea protein skimmer. I am going to purchase a better skimmer like the octopus bh1000. In my canister I have the sponges, carbon and bioMax. I was researchin the best things to change this filter system and found that many people say to use live rock rubble, matrix, and purigen....any recommendations ? I am aware that the filter needs to be changed very frequently to avoid high nitrates . Thank you for help everyone!

I use a similar setup, I have a 47g column tank full reef, I use a rena xp4 cannister with filter floss sponges, live rock rubble, and activated carbon. I don't have any issues, the tank has been going for 6 mos, I change about 12g every 2weeks, clean the cannister out about every 6weeks, (when I notice reduced flow from cannister) I rarely get any type of color change on my nitrates test.

Back
Top Bottom