cardinalfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok.. I've been thinking about adding a new fish, or couple of fish to my tank. I was thinking about the Banggai Cardinalfish...

Is this a fairly easy fish to keep? I was hoping to get a pair to be with my clowns in the 30gal.. would this be too many fish ?

Currently theres just the clowns and the small Steinitz goby for fish, and then the cleanup crew of hermits and snails..

Thanks,
Thane

You'd be pushing it on the bioload but there wouldn't be much compatibility issues. The main thing to be sure of when buying two Cardinals is that you don't get two males. They will end up killing one another. Might be easier all round if you just got one...

Cheers
Steve

I think you should be OK on the bio-load. Just make sure your water is good now. I have a pair of O. clowns in a 10 gallon and my water is great.

If they may possibly kill each other I think 1 would be a better choice.

i was thinking of getting a couple of Cardinal too but i heard they like really like to eat, i was wondering what kind of food they will eat and what is the best way to keep them so they would last?

Keep in mind that cardinals are usually nocturnal. Although pretty, they are not very entertaining.

I have a similar set-up to yours and I have a Banggai Cardinalfish. I would go with only one as mentioned. Even though they are nocturnal mine is very active during feeding time. He eats a variety of shrimp (brine, mysis, table) but will not touch flake or pellet food. Make sure you have some overhangs for him as they will just hang out in pretty much one spot during the day and like to retreat back when they feel threatened. If you have a problem with them eating any meaty food turn off your tank for a few minutes and let them acclimate to the dark and then try feeding them. Like I said feeding has not been a problem for me.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom