Centropyge venustus or Potters Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody have one or both of these? How hard are they to keep alive? Will I just be throwing my money out the window if i were to purchase them?
Thanks,
mike

What size tank? Two dwarfs in one tank is ussually not a good idea unless the tank is large and you have lots of LR. Potters angel is pretty hardy and easy to keep, once past the crucial acclimation period. Venustus or Blue-backed angel/purple masked angel, is considered difficult to keep. Getting it to eat is the main challenge. It seems to prefer sponges and needs a lot of LR for grazing and hiding. I would skip it. This species is listed in multiple genuses on different websites so correct info may be sketchy.

I have a 72 gallon with 100 pounds of live rock. If I were to introduce two at the same time do you think they would be okay?
Thanks

I still do not recommend the blue backed angel. As far as introducing two dwarf species, it will be a gamble. No way to say for sure. Your best bet is to introduce them together.

How about the potter with a bi-color angel intro at same time. Are these both pretty hardy?

The potters angel will be the aggressor. If added simultaneously you may be fine.

After doing some research the bi-color probably won't live long in captivity. So how about a lemon peel and potter together?

yup, my bi-color has passed away sadly yesterday. not due to ick or nitrate problem. i think it feel too stress up when I disturb her sleeping place with new life rocks??? (my best guess currently)

Lemonpeel may be an option. Again, same genus so you may have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom