chaetomorpha and halimeda - urgent query!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumblebee1976

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I have just bought a pack of chaetomorpha and halimeda to try my sea slug on and I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on putting it in my tank. It is a 60 litre biorb with no sump/refugium, so it will be going in the tank. Can I anchor it to a rock and if so what is the best way of doing this? Also, it came in some water today but I have spotted a snail and two bristleworms in it already. I don't want to chuck the water out incase it is carrying helpful pods etc but equally I don't want to risk introducing pathogens to a fairly new tank. I guess we risk this every time we add anything to the tank, even if it goes in without the water because it can be on the livestock. Any help greatly appreciated as soon as possible because I don't want it to sit for too long out of a tank! Thanks.

I used chaeto in my 29 gallon, just placed in between some rock to hold it in place. I ultimately regretted placing it directly in the tank due to chaeto popping up in places I didn't care for, such as in between large polyps, in the overflow, it essentially took over the back side of the tank that I could not reach. If you stay on top of it and keep it trimmed, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you don't trust yourself to stay on top of it, I would reconsider placing the chaeto in the tank. I have no experience with the halimeda. GL!

Thanks so much for such helpful replies - it is acclimatizing now so I hope to release it soon! Would a normal rubber band be in danger of having contaminants on it? And it's okay to put rubber in the saltwater?

I also believe that "halimeda" would be a great addition to your tank. as far as the chaeto just keep it nice and trimmed and it should be okay.

Wow - what a result! I tied the halimeda onto the rock and stuffed the chaeto into a hole in another rock, and the slug is glued to the halimeda!! he has browsed it for ages now, though he doesn't seem bothered about the chaeto. I wonder how he actually eats because he just seems to glide over everything, but I think he must be absorbing it somehow. Another favourite seems to be the tufts on the plastic plants - I hoped there would be a use for them and I caught a hermit right at the tip of one of the leaves the other day, having cleaned off the entire leaf! So relieved to see the slug enjoying the halimeda, I just had to share with everyone especially if anyone is thinking of keeping one and is wondering what to feed it. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom