Changing salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having too hard a time getting Tropic Marin saltmix. So I have decided to change to Oceanic. I read what people posted about it and regretably am changing. I was really enjoying the results with Tropic but alas.

My question is; what percentage change should I start out with? 5% or higher.

Thanks

Alot of the issue with changing salts will depend on the corals you keep. The more sensitive the coral the more reaction you will see to changes in the chemistry. 5% would be a good starting point. Change that much about every 5-7 days for 6-8 weeks and then you should be fine to slowly increase that amount to 10% for a few weeks. Keep bumping the amount by 5% until you get to what a normal amount would be.

Be sure the new SW has had a good 24 hrs to mix properly aerated and heated before use.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I have had the water mixing for 3 days. I am keeping about 80% soft corals, ie toadstool, hammer, polyps, carpet, kenya, galaxia.

I will do 5% today and every Sunday till I have changed 100%.

The softies shouldn't have that much of a concern but be watchful of the carpet and monitor for color changes and the mouth opening. With how you propose to do the switch I can forsee no issues though. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom