Changing salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of changing my salt mix from Oceanic to Instant Ocean. I have read a few post were people having a problem keeping their PH up were using oceanic. When they changed salt mixes the problem stopped. Any suggestions. Does it stress the inhabitants when you change mixes? Do you just switch or do you gradually mix them until the change is complete?

I have had the same problem with Oceanic. I switched to Instant Ocean and now that's all I buy. Just start using it with your water changes. No problems mixing them.

Eventually you'll be all IO.

Nate

I switched from Instant Ocean to Oceanic then back to Instant Ocean and my tank didnt' show any signs of stress. I wouldn't mix them, I would just go cold turkey. If your worried, you could do smaller water changes to start off with using the new salt and slowly adjust the tank over.

Due to low PH and low calcium. IO has always kept my ph at 8.0. Not perfect but, good. With Oceanic it was 7.8. Also, IO keeps my calcium at around 450. Oceanic was below 400 but I don't remember the exact number.

see, I switched from IO to Oceanic, because IO gave me way high Alk, too low a calcium, and pH never above 8.0.
Oceanic has balanced Alk/Cal out of the tub, and my pH is never below 8.1

strange.

IO keeps my calcium at around 450.
I was thinking of switching salt b/c I'm tired of having to bump up the Ca in IO before use, but decided not to b/c of my SPS and anemones. I'm just curious Fluff, what do you dose? What brand test kit? IO has always tested at or around 350ppm Ca for me :?

Edit-Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread Brenden. I don't think switching salts at this time in your tanks life would be too big a deal. If you did I would recommend small PWC's(5-10%) two or three times a week w/ the new salt mix for a few weeks.

I use IO Reef Crystals. That starts off with a higher Ca but I'm, ironically, having a hard time keeping my alk up. I found my mag slightly low so I've tried bumping that. Hopefully the alk will hold a bit better now.

Phyl said:
I use IO Reef Crystals. That starts off with a higher Ca
What are the numbers out of the box-Ca/Alk? I have been curious for awhile about IO Reef Crystals but have never come across any numbers. Thanks

Next time I mix some up I'll run the gammut and post them up. Sweet cap, btw. That's just gorgeous! Purple rim? What size tank is it in?

I have been using SeaTest kit for my calcium.
I would be leary of the results. Every post I've read mentioning IO and Ca has ended w/ the words "on the low side". I've been using it for 2 years and I have never had Ca measure above 375ppm using Seachem tests. Who knows-maybe you got a "good" bag lol.

Is changing from oceanic to IO a bad choice. I have never had issues with low calcium and do not dose anything.

Next time I mix some up I'll run the gammut and post them up.
Thanks. I think many will find it useful/informative.
Sweet cap, btw. That's just gorgeous! Purple rim? What size tank is it in?
Thank you very much! No purple rim and it's in a 55gal w/ MH.
(ok now I'm definitely hijacking LOL)

Is changing from oceanic to IO a bad choice
I was going to recommend you do plenty of research so you will not want to switch in the future when there is more at stake. IO is great IMO-once the Ca is bumped up. If I where you I would look into IO Reef Crystal(can't wait for the numbers on that), Kents, Tropic Marin also.

I've also used Salifert for calcium and it always gave me the same results. :?

Brenden, I don't think it's a bad choice. If you try it and don't like it, switch back. This is what I did, only reversed.

I used to use IO too.....hated that my alk and Ca were always low. I did a search on here and saw a thread about everyone posting numbers on salts right out of the tub.....everyone was ranting and raving about Kent, so I switched. I haven't looked back since. My Ca and alk are both great now, don't have to dose anything....life is good. Of course it's also a bonus that my LFS carries it, too. I say go Kent!

Back
Top Bottom