Clark Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a little 5 gallon nano reef going on..
I picked up a Clark clownfish about 2-3 weeks ago. Since the night I put it in, it flees to the back, kicks up sand everywhere and digs big trenches in back of the tank.
I've read about this being a mating/pairing thing, but it's the only fish I have in my tank. The only other thing is a condy anemone which I'm hoping it will pair with.
Also along the lines of the anemone, the clownfish hasn't quite cuddled up to it yet, he's just been floating around just out of its reach.
Any ideas or tips about the sand flinging or anything I can do to try and help the clown and anemone get along?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3894214491.jpg
    image-3894214491.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 96
  • image-266406484.jpg
    image-266406484.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 93
If it's a Clarkii clown, which it appears to be, it's exhibiting classic signs of being (EDIT: VERY upset).... They are a fish that reach a mature size of up to 4 to 6 inches in length, and require a minimum of a 30 gallon tank. In other words, you're not going to fix this behavior without getting him into a larger home..... and the stress of such a small tank is likely to kill him.

Last edited:
I have 2 clarkii in my 90 with a condy the female hosts and does the throwing of the sand but I find all clowns do it even my cinnamon tomato pair the female does it

I have 2 clarkii in my 90 with a condy the female hosts and does the throwing of the sand but I find all clowns do it even my cinnamon tomato pair the female does it

Does it make a difference that mine isn't paired?
It's just by itself. I was testing it out and found that when I put my face on the right side of the tank to look at it, it'll swim right up then fling up the sand at me. I guess it's his private little corner!

The tail wip is a dominance thing, that's the clowns house, mine done it to the nem before she started hosting it

Attachments

• image-3629891499.jpg
    image-3629891499.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 81
The tail wip is a dominance thing, that's the clowns house, mine done it to the nem before she started hosting it

It's just a small 5 gallon, but he will tail whip in the back right corner, the anemone is in the front. Ever since I got him he just floats above the anemone just out of reach.

Attachments

• image-652698887.jpg
    image-652698887.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 67
Mine did that as well give her time to check the nem out it took mine a few weeks then we left for the weekend and came back to her rubbing on the stalk and now she is very pushy with it. Just make sure you feed your nem everyday mashed silversides or brine mysis mix or your fish may become a snack. Try moving your rocks to wear you can put the nem in her corner and that may help

Are you sure it's a condy? Looks a bit like a torch coral? Anyone else have any thoughts on that? If it is a condy, your clown may never host it as they are not the natural host anemones for clowns but you never know! It worked for the person above ^ and they are right, keep an eye on it, they are known to eat small fish.
I also agree that this fish doesn't belong In a 5g that will be why he is acting strange, he is very sad :(

Are you sure it's a condy? Looks a bit like a torch coral? Anyone else have any thoughts on that? If it is a condy, your clown may never host it as they are not the natural host anemones for clowns but you never know! It worked for the person above ^ and they are right, keep an eye on it, they are known to eat small fish.
I also agree that this fish doesn't belong In a 5g that will be why he is acting strange, he is very sad :(

Yeah I'm pretty sure, that's what the sign said !
I didn't find out until after I got it that they aren't know to host clows very often. But I did find that if they do Clark's would be the best choice to try. I actually have a friend that has a clown paired with a condy. But it was already paired when he bought it.
That's what I keep reading too! About 50% of people say they put a clown in a 5-8 gallon then the rest say its a bad idea!
As far as fish go that's all I want. I have 5 snails, small hermit crab, and a few frags.
I'm still learning about this, and made the mistake of buying a frogspawn too :(
Didn't know that's what it was when I got it. Need to ask before I get it!
Read up on it and quickly moved it away from anything else.
I bought a hydor 240 yesterday also, still not sure about positioning. I have it on the left wall blowing straight to the right wall. The anemone is flailing about, mostly to the left. Not sure if hell just get used to it and eventually straighten out? Or should I try and other spot?

Attachments

• image-4259323471.jpg
    image-4259323471.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 86
How long have you had it? They should enjoy med flow. But can stung other corals so watch it if it starts to move! It's not a red legged hermit? They are known for attacking condys...

Condy nem's put off the same amout of waste as 4 fish FYI so I hope this is a temp home just to get the clown to host

How long have you had it? They should enjoy med flow. But can stung other corals so watch it if it starts to move! It's not a red legged hermit? They are known for attacking condys...

I got the clown fish on the 22bd of march. The anemone was like a week or 2 before it.
I don't have any corals close enough to the anemone right now. It seems to do okay with the snails and hermit though. Luckily mine Hans moved yet, the one my friend has used to move all over the place.
No it's not a red legged! It has blue legs. Not one of those electric ones that get real big though.

Condy nem's put off the same amout of waste as 4 fish FYI so I hope this is a temp home just to get the clown to host

For now it's all I have. Although I'm thinking about converting a 19 gallon freshwater I have into saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom