cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i've had this female cleaner shrimp for about 7 weeks or so, shes molted 5 times

and I have a question about them breeding because she keeps laying her eggs.. atleast these last two molts.. so really green eggs mean fertilized correct ?

oh yes, here is a pic

-thane

Thats what my cleaner looked like when it had eggs... I read somewhere they store sperm and can fertilize them selves at a later date..

How do you tell the sex?

Too bad mine doesnt come in the open more often, are they more night time?

Im pretty sure the chance of them successfully reproducing in an aquarium is slim to none.

Actually they can reproduce very easily........the chance of survival is slim to none though.

Mine have had little cleaners many, many times. I have 5 of them... :mrgreen:

PS. Zach, give it some time. My cleaners hid for a while, now they eat out of my hand....

How do you sex them though?

Last night when the lights went off the shrimp started walking around the tank, are they noctournal?

mines out all the time and ive only had him for like 3 days and he already eats out of my hand its awesome and he;ll even clean my finger nails and hands its very neat.

zacdl said:
How do you sex them though?
You don't need to, they are hermaphroditic. As long as there are two in the tank, the eggs have a decent chance of becoming fertile. Three increases the chances even more. As Rev pointed out though, they won't amount to much other than fish food and filter fodder.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom