Cleaner shrimps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Cleaner shrimps.

Hiys guys, i have a 100 gal sps frag tank, it has a small snad covering but not under the rocks, and a turn over of 30x. I am just wondering about clener shrimps and blood shrimps. For a cleaner crew already i have around 40 turbo snails and 24 red-legs, and will be getting 12 each of nassarius and cerith snails. Bit i waswondering if the tank would benefit from the addition of a cleaner or blood shrimps?

Also is one type better then the other as i prefer the look of blood shrimps?

And are they best kept singerly or in pairs etc?

Thanx
Andrew

IMO it's always a benefit in having cleaner shrimps. I have 2 skunk cleaners that are quite personable and never hide and are constantly hunting in little crevaces and provide a great service to my yellow tang and flame angel. I also have a blood shrimp, but it spends its entire life hiding behind rocks. Furthermore, skunk cleaner shrimps are significantly less expensive than the blood shrimps, at least in my area(south florida), but there's no denying their beauty. Basically, it's your call, just make sure you don't have fish that will eat your shrimps..

I think the skunks are a little better cleaners. The fire shrimp are best kept with other fire shrimp, they will usually not hide as much if kept in pairs or small groups.

I have one of each as well pomme. The skunk cleaner does a much better job of keeping everyone clean and of doing things in the, tank hunting etc... The blood red spends the majority of his time hiding till there is food in the tank or I stick my hand in there. They will both come and eat krill out of my hand.. Overall If you want a shrimp you will see I would recommend the skunk cleaner.. But mabye you are right maybe the BR hides alot cause he is alone...

Doan

so how many would ou suggest for a 100gal, 2 or 4 etc, like 2 cleaners shrimps and 2 blood shrimps, etc?

so how many would ou suggest for a 100gal, 2 or 4 etc, like 2 cleaners shrimps and 2 blood shrimps, etc?

I would suggest 2 of either shrimp..

HTH,
James

FWIW skunks are fun due to the fact that they will clean your fingers Ect. if given the chance.. I dont know if the others will or not though.. Both my skunks dies so I was tossin the idea around in getting the blood ones as well.. Pictures when you get either one lol...

James

Back
Top Bottom