Cleaning pumps after sitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've finally gotten to setting up a 210g tank. I have a Mag return pump and a Sedra skimmer pump that have been sitting in salt water for about 3 months not running...not the greatest idea as I look back on it.

How should I clean these. Do I just do the old vinegar bath overnight? Or do I need to actually take these apart and clean them? I was just going to give them a vinegar bath but I'm not sure if that will be good enough. I ran the Mag in a bucket of water just to make sure it still worked okay and it doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully there's just crud in there.

- Skins

- Oh, and should I also be cleaning the skimmer itself with vinegar? It looks pretty crusty.

Remove the impeller cover and clean with water and a toothbrush (dedicated to your tank of course). I just clean the impeller with water and my fingers. Run water into the impeller hole and brush it out with the toothbrush.

Works for me. Now if you feel the need to remove external residue, then vinegar would work.

I would let them sit in a bucket of vinegar/water overnite first and then take it apart like Ray said.

Back
Top Bottom