Clown Fish Acting Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hultsmark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of Amphiprion clarkii or Clark's Clownfish. I have had them since January, 2011. Four days ago the larger one began acting strange.

I initially thought the behavior might be breeding activity but am not sure anymore. The fish has camped out at a powerhead located high and on the front side of the tank. Since this is the larger of the pair I am guessing it is female.

She is just hanging out and the powerhead and not eating enough food to keep her going which is the cause of my concern. There are no visible signs of disease or distress. Just the weird behavior.

The male checks on her frequently. He just goes and watches then wanders off.

My tank parameters have been stable for months at: SG=1.024, Temp=74, pH=8.4, Nitrate=2.5 ppm, Nitrite=0, Phosphate=0, Ammonia=0, Calcium=520, Alkilinity=2.8.

No new items have been added to the tank to help explain why all of a sudden she is acting strange.

I sure will appreciate any ideas you folks may have as to what I should do.

Thanks

20120430: I am thinking of removing the male to the quarantine tank. He is agressively attacking the female.

Last edited:
20120501 Update: Female in Quarantine

I moved the female that has been picked on to my quarantine tank. Still working on acclimation. Her fins are all shredded but now she will be able to eat without getting messed with.

Seems like very odd behavior. Other than maybe a low temperature, your water parameters are spot on. Do you know if her fin damage was due to the male and not the powerhead? I've heard of stories from others of how their clowns' fin was damaged because of PH hosting. Let us know how she's eating now with the male in the QT.

sounds more like you have 2 females.try to find out how old they are and if the smaller has been in another pair? What size are they both.just because one is larger than the other it doesn't guarantee it is the dominant female,I would remove the aggressive clown back for an exchange of a small and young clown(one which hasn't had the chance to change to a female)Remember they can change from a male to a female but not back.

20120502 Update

First and foremost, thanks for the replies.

The harrased fish is doing okay in the quaratine tank. Fed it the first time this morning and it went right after it. Just got home from work so I have not fed yet this evening.

The fish is swiming fine as the filter is low flow. It knows I'm at it's tank whenever I approach.

Both were purchased at the same time on 1/20/2011. They have been together every since in the 129 gallon display tank. The point being that I have no clue to explain the change in behavior.

I did witness the smaller clown chasing the injured one and making it go back to the power head.

Both fish are 3" long and 1.5" high. I would call them medium sized at this time.

The water tempreture is at 74 to support the seahorse tank.

Last edited:
20120511 Update: The damaged fish is doing fine in the quaratine tank. My wife added some macro algae, shells and sand because she felt sorry for her being in a bare tank.

The fish is swimming fine. Guess I just need to wait for the fins to heal.

Still no idea on what has caused the whole disturbance.

Back
Top Bottom