White fuzzy spot on betta tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jebbyfishman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a 3 gallon tank with one betta and snail.
Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ph 7, KH 1. Water temp 81, heated, filtered, cycled, and with bubbler.

I noticed today she had a small cotton looking ball on her bottom fin. Will this go away with a couple days of partial water changes? I vacuumed gravel today and did a 50 percent water change. She’s acting totally normal otherwise. I don’t want to use salt because of my snail and plants. And I’ve read medication is for extremes and might mess with my nitrogen cycle. What should I do?
IMG_4178.jpeg

I would go with the regular water changes and see how things progress.

What plants and snails do you have? Some of them will be fine with a little aquarium salt.

How often do you do water changes in your 3 gallon?
I have a 2.5 gallon that I use strictly for quarantining fish, it’s a short term deal and when I have fish in it I change out 1 gallon every other day. I know they sell tanks this small but in reality they aren’t even large enough for 1 beta. When I got into fish keeping I started with betas in mason jars on my bedside tables. That ended quickly in fear one of us would fling a pillow and kill a fish. Fast forward a few months, my younger sister had a 29 gallon she had 1 surviving fish and told me when it passed she wanted out of fish keeping so I told her I’d take it off her hands. Wasn’t long after that she lost the last one and I took the set up she had. Added some bells and whistles and a divider and added both betas. Lost his beta but mine survived until he got old af and died. He was king and of that 29!

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually already went away so seems like a false alarm. I have Java fern and Anubias and a mystery snail. Wonder if that’s ok to use salt with in the future? I do about half gallon water change every 3rd day. Will definitely look into getting a bigger tank setup!

Anubias and java fern are fine with aquarium salt. They are naturally found in brackish water as well as freshwater.

Mystery snails can tolerate aquarium salt if its gradually added over an extended period. Apple snails, that are often sold as mystery snails, are more tolerant of salt than mystery snails. I assume its not an apple snail as it would destroy your plants though, and would outgrow a 3g aquarium in a matter of weeks.

You are changing about 1/3 of the water every week. Thats fine for a betta and a mystery snail in 3g.

It actually already went away so seems like a false alarm. I have Java fern and Anubias and a mystery snail. Wonder if that’s ok to use salt with in the future? I do about half gallon water change every 3rd day. Will definitely look into getting a bigger tank setup!
Petco sometimes does half off the aquariums. I know they were doing it but I think it might’ve just ended at least in the area I’m in! But they also had a recent promo new customers (I wasn’t new I just created new account) got $20 off $50, they also spammed me for like 3 months with that coupon, I kept using them lol. I ended up with a 55 gallon tank for less than $60. Just the tank not everything else.

Back
Top Bottom