clown question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a fire clown in a 29 hex and want to reunite him with his friends in the reef tank. is he reef compatible? i'm not to familiar with these clowns even though i've had him in my FO tank for about two years.

tia

mark

Yeah Clowns are reef safe... . :D
Although extremely hardy; anemones preferred, but not required; in smaller aquariums should purchase in small groups of same specie and introduce to the aquarium simultaneously; ok to have different clown species in larger aquariums with coral and rock decor to break up territories; aggressiveness varies between species; can breed successfully in captivity; most commonly found in the Indo-Pacific

Shandoni said:
in smaller aquariums should purchase in small groups of same specie and introduce to the aquarium simultaneously
Actually it's better if only adding two of the same species in smaller tanks. If adding more, once two pair up they will most likely kill the others unless removed in time.

Cheers
Steve

this may be a silly question, but what would make a particular fish not "reef friendly"? is it a matter of different environments, or will some fish damage the reef? (ie., nibble, snack)

or will some fish damage the reef? (ie., nibble, snack)
That's the main one. There are different degrees of "reef safe". Some may simpley be "reef friendly".

There are many types of fish that can be kept in a sessile invert tank that would be dangerous to mobile inverts and vise versa. A truely reef safe fish would be one that has no interest in either sessile or mobile inverts.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom