Clownfish in an aggressive tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank contains a lunar wrasse, a niger trigger, a foxface, and a small blue damsel. I would like to get a larger clown to put into the tank too. Just wondering what species of clown would grow to the largest and/or witch is going to be the best at holding it's ground. The trigger doesn't show any aggression at all so it's not the one I'm worried about. The lunar erasable is probably the meanest fish I have and its about 4 inches long. Any ideas or am I just hoping for something that isn't realistic?

There are a few clowns that would work. I think you could get a good sized pair of maroon clowns or tomato clowns. They are both pretty agressive and get bigger then the usual clowns.

What size tank?

I agree with Nu-Nu . Also, Clarkii Clowns are pretty large and aggressive too. I had one for years and he was like a little bulldog.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
There are a few clowns that would work. I think you could get a good sized pair of maroon clowns or tomato clowns. They are both pretty agressive and get bigger then the usual clowns.

What size tank?

Its my 125. I was thinking about the tomato clown. I'm just concerned it/they wouldn't be big enough before they got beat up. I may have to wait a while so I could house a bta. I just don't know if my tank is "old" enough to support one but it would definitely provide protection. The tank is coming up on 8 Months old.,

Yea tank should be old enough for a nem! And trust me tomato clowns get pretty dang big, but it would be hard to find larger ones being sold. I saw a full grown tomato give a foxface a good chase. It was pretty funnu

I'm not sure you two understand. My wrasse is really mean! I has a spotted grouper that was much larger than the wrasse and the wrasse killed it. It tore the eyes out of his head then chewed it apart once it couldn't see. Its truly a mean fish. I'm really worried about putting anything else in there as long as I have him. But its such a cool fish, I don't want to get rid of it. What to do... what to do...

I understand that your question was " which clownfish gets the largest and which ones are best at holding their ground"
For these questions, we gave you some valid answers.
If you are also asking, if a clown will do OK in a predator tank, with a " known " killer, then no probably not.

Flreefer said:
I understand that your question was " which clownfish gets the largest and which ones are best at holding their ground"
For these questions, we gave you some valid answers.
If you are also asking, if a clown will do OK in a predator tank, with a " known " killer, then no probably not.

Very true! Sorry. I do like the ideas given. I think I may remove the wrasse and out it into my sump for a couple weeks to allow the clowns to claim their area. Then later, bring the wrasse back unto the tank. I do like the maroon clowns and I think that will be the route I'm going to go. First I need to upgrade my lighting to support a bta. Thank you all for your great responses!

That sounds like a pretty good approach, it may make the Wrasse check himself, with his behavior, and give the clowns some time to adjust.
I agree with your statement about having a Nem for them to have some protection too. I think that would help them out a lot.
Best of luck with it!

I threw a killer Clarkii in with my 2 yellow tail damsels that were horribly aggressive. they tried to chase him away but he held his own no problem. Now the three get along good and it's only been a week.

If it tore a groupers eyes out I don't think a clown could hold its own. Grouper are EXTREMELY aggressive. If it could do thy and did do that, imagine what it's going to do to a little clown.

crister13 said:
If it tore a groupers eyes out I don't think a clown could hold its own. Grouper are EXTREMELY aggressive. If it could do thy and did do that, imagine what it's going to do to a little clown.

I agree! That's why I got the grouper. It was even a little larger than the wrasse. Surprisingly, the grouper didn't try to fight with anything. Granted it was the last fish introduced to the aquarium, it didn't have its own territory to call its own.

I just don't understand why the wrasse doesn't fight with the foxface or the trigger. Neither are larger than the wrasse and the wrasse was put in long before either of them. I'm beginning to think the grouper was sick when I got it, even though it did eat.

It's a possibility. Or it was a wuss. LOL. The wrasse could just "be friends" with the others. My grouper, a honeycomb grouper, is unbelievably aggressive. GL with your choice and outcome!

Back
Top Bottom