Condy ate my lionfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfarrar2f

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We recently bought a lionfish for our 125g tank. He was in there for 2 weeks. When I came home from work today he was missing. But there seems to be dark object in the long base of our condy anemone! Is this normal?! The lion was just as big if not bigger than the anemone!

jfarrar2f said:
We recently bought a lionfish for our 125g tank. He was in there for 2 weeks. When I came home from work today he was missing. But there seems to be dark object in the long base of our condy anemone! Is this normal?! The lion was just as big if not bigger than the anemone!

Same thing happen yesterday to my clown fish I came home and only the head was sticking out of my condy anemone. I ask the same question and they said it rear but it could happen. I tripped out when I seen it, I took it out of his mouth and flushed him. Now I'm scared I have two condy anemones in my 21g.

Yeah. I was not happy. We have other fish in the tank that the condy doesnt mess with. So I never thought it would be an issue.

Should we take the anemone out? Will the waste that he secretes be bad on the other fish? I don't want to lose anymore fish:(

Condi's are killers,you need to get rid of them.Get a BTA if you insist on trying to keep an anemone .

I hate anemones. Pain in the [moderator edit]. Many corals look like anemones and are much less trouble. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
jfarrar2f said:
Any suggestions on corals?

You really need to decide for sure whether you are doing a Reef or FWLR .Lion fish can be problem in reef,really limits so much livestock and corals you could have.

+1 Rick

You have to make a decision cause that will dictate what you can and can't keep. Fish wise and coral wise. Alot of cool fish arent reef safe so you need to figure out what you want more. The fish or the corals. You can still do an awesome tank with coral friendly fish so don't feel you will get screwed out of cool fish if you go reef.

Sometimes it is fun to have stuff like lion fish, because then you can have fish like the snowflake moray, trigger fish and other stuff that won't do nice things to your reef fish and coral. Nice thing about lion fish is they are the "sparrow" of the sea...way too many of them especially in the Caribbean, where tank raised lion fish have gotten away and are now a real pest in these non-native habitats. They have no natural enemies.

The attitude is to collect/kill as many as you can as a diver.

snowflake and lionfish are reef safe but not fish safe,if your after an eel which is fishsafe go towards the pebble tooth or golden moray but they can go for your cuc,lion fish are reef safe but make a [moderator edit] of a mesh through feeding and waste,although this can also benefit some corals with food particles floating around the tank the skimmer and filtration needs to be good enough to handle this.

snowflake and lionfish are reef safe but not fish safe,if your after an eel which is fishsafe go towards the pebble tooth or golden moray but they can go for your cuc,lion fish are reef safe but make a [moderator edit] of a mesh through feeding and waste,although this can also benefit some corals with food particles floating around the tank the skimmer and filtration needs to be good enough to handle this.
oh... i stand corrected

My snowflake hasn't gone after neither my fish nor any shrimp or crabs. It hasn't even shown any interest. There are even two peppermint shrimp that live right outside the hole that it pokes it's head out of. Maybe it's just mine though. Also, I feed every other day to make sure it isn't hungry.

sorry but a lionfish doesn't really limit you until it gets bigger. Every person I've talked to in depth that has one or had one, says yes it does limit some choices, but its not that bad, any fish that is roughly the same size or a tad smaller will be ok. They naturally know that they need to stay away. I'm getting a black volitan for my 125 and I have some lovely colorful fish

negligent_inmate said:
sorry but a lionfish doesn't really limit you until it gets bigger. Every person I've talked to in depth that has one or had one, says yes it does limit some choices, but its not that bad, any fish that is roughly the same size or a tad smaller will be ok. They naturally know that they need to stay away. I'm getting a black volitan for my 125 and I have some lovely colorful fish

Exactly. I like to be told stuff from experience, not from something that they heard or whatever.

My fuzzy ate a clownfish the same size as it and then couldn't swallow the clown and they both died,lion fish are extremely fast to strike at prey,I wouldn't have any fish smaller than the lion fish in the same tank.

Back
Top Bottom