Confusing Lighting Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like in my previous post I have a 150 gallon tank and I want to install some corals. Whats the best lighting set up in your oppinions? I have had many people talk about heating problems with MH in a closed canopy. I need help in a big way.

Can you be a little more specific about what you want in your tank, we can help you more that way.

do you have to have your canopy closed, maybe eggcrate would be more beneficial.

Thumper said:
Whats the best lighting set up in your oppinions? I have had many people talk about heating problems with MH in a closed canopy.

IMO, MH would be your best option since you will be able to keep almost all kinds of things like SPS corals, clams, and anemones.

A lot of people install multiple fans in their hood to keep it cooler. They also use a chiller or a fan to blow across the water to keep the water temp from heating up.

Thanks for the response. I'm not exactly for sure what type's of coral because I want a variety of soft and hard corals in the future but plan on starting with some of the easier softs at first. I've had several different people tell me that I will probably have to run a chiller with 3 metal halides and honestly I dont have the money for that right now. I've considered going with 2 660 icecap ballasts and running 6 140 watt VHO's and not have to worry about the heating problem as much right now but as i stated before I really dont want to make a mistake right now and have to redo this set up in 3 months. I really like the shimmering water effect of the MH but not for the cost of a chiller right now.
My canapy is completely enclosed and thus hints the reasoning for the heating problem and I havn't talked to anyone that has a real good idea around here as which way to try and go and honestly if I installed a couple cooling fans if they would help out at all. I"M LOST

If I started up with MH first I would have saved myself a good chunk of money that could of been spent on live stock.

Do you need to have all 3 MH setup in the begining? maybe you can just setup one MH for now and place most of your corals in the center of the tank while saving $$ for your other MH and chiller. Than as you progress and finding that the center of the tank is a little crowded you can add another MH light.

Heating is a big problem. Can you cut the back of your canapy off or make port holes in the back of it and install fans. this will help with the heat in the canapy.

If you want good pricing on MH lighting, diyreefs.com is where I got mine. If you get the MH with at least 14K or better bulb, there is plenty of blue in there. You can get 2 of these below $400.00 to do the job. Since you have a 6 foot tank, you would most likely need 3 of them since it covers about 2 feet each. Before I realized that, I had already purchased the Coralife 4x65w pc setup. Since I have it, I run it in parallel with the MH. Each one is 250w, so there is plenty of lighting (760w) to do what I want. I'm not sure what that is yet, but at least I won't be limited as far as lighting is concerned. 8)
Heating was a factor for me, so I had to build a canopy 15", so it would be around 12" above the water. Also, I installed 2 fans (one on each side) to run over the water to keep it cool. To be honest, the fans help so much, that the temp only changes about a degree or 2 during the day, but I have the back completely opened.
option - You can run MH on the left and right side, and maybe some pc's/vho's in the middle. There are lots of configurations.

Mike

Thanks guys. My lights on my canapy will be 10 inches off the water so that will be good and as far as the back of the canapy i can cut it to pieces if need be so maybe that will help to. I'm just holding out at this point to make the right decision and I'm still leaning towards the MH. How much of the back needs to be cut away???? Just vent holes or the entire back? What about if I cut lots of BIG vent holes and installed say 3 or 4 high CFM fans??

You can do that as well. I have the whole back opened for ventilation, as well as being able to get behind there if I need to. You won't be disappointed with MH as long as it stays cool enough.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom