Coral Banded Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone give me a yay or nay for these guys. I have cleaners in my other two tanks, but wanted something different for this one. Its a 20G tank, pair of clarkiis and a yellow watchman goby so far. I've had peppermints before, but notice they like to hide a lot. Looking for a shrimp that I don't have to search for all the time. Not that I expect it to be out all the time, but you know.... thanks!

Look for the smaller yellow or purple bellied variety. Really nice looking but can't guarantee they won't hide. Maybe the larger red and white ones may be seen more just cause they're so big. If it's the only shrimp in a 20g, I'd say go for it.

Personally I love CBS. Their so entertaining walking around looking to scavenge. But in my experience I added one a couple years ago to my 20 gallon which already had a camel shrimp and he went straight for it to take it apart. Some luck out and can have them with other shrimps.

I plan on only having one shrimp, but what about crabs? I have emerald crabs, and I like to watch them (in other tanks) I had an Arrow Crab for a short period of time, not sure why he didn't last.

I would go for a smaller variety also. I have one in my 75g along with 2 cleaners and that thing is HUGE!! A smaller one would do great in your 20g.

I think I'll go for it, but none today, they sold the one they had before I got there. I did get a neat small pencil urchin though :)

I have a really big coral banded shrimp. He is very cool. Very interesting to watch. He did eat one of my peppermint shrimp today. I'm not really sure what happened. I think that my Condy killed it then the banded shrimp stole it and ate it. I kinda expected it to happen but I need the peppermint shrimp to do some aiptasia eradication.

I have 3 in my tank, they're very cool. I didn't realize that there were 2 males and one female, so the males are often challenging each other. I would say a mated pair is the limit for any size tank.

Everyone keeps saying it but I'll add my 2 cents. I also have a CBS and he is really funny to watch. It's surprising how much personality they have! He walks around like he owns the joint! I've had him for just over a month and he's molted and is huge now! But I love him

:) I think I'll enjoy a CBS, and I still would like to hear more people's experiences with them.

The third one I bought was evil, but he quickly endeared himself to my wife, who found him spunky and always up to some funny adventure.

That third CBS lost more legs than we care to remember. His curiousity got the better of him once, he walked right into an anemone we just introduced to the DT and somehow survived, he lost most of his legs and both claws, but it all grew back in 2 weeks. But until then he was using his tail to get around the tank and it was sad and funny at the same time watching him. We called him our handicap shrimp.

He once hid inside a LR that was removed from the DT during a major ordeal of capturing all the fish, somehow he survived in the bottom of a bucket for over 12 hours, he's also the smallest of the trio of the CBS but seems to bully the larger male and stole the larger male's mate.

He's a small little thing but with tons of character. He used to corner the other male in the tank and keep him floating up all day. We'd be watching the larger male kicking his tail trying to stay high near the surface and the little bully just standing on the substrate watching him and waiting for him to come down. We'd bully the bully ourselves with a stick to push him to leave the other shrimp alone.

He was upsetting the tranquility of the DT but he was very difficult to capture so we kept him. Like I said, his adventures and naughty character endeared him to my wife, who's a bit of a trouble maker herself. They are nice to have in a DT. I still recommend a mated pair or a single CBS in a DT of any size.

cheers

Wael

Hey Mikey!
How big is he? Did you catch him on the move or does he like to hang out upside down like that?

I don't even know how to measure him. I bet he's 4 1/2 inches long. He spends about half of his time upside down.

I have the yellow coral banded shrimp with the blue legs, they stay small. I would recommend either the yellow or the gold one, you can find them both on liveaquaria for more info and they both stay small which would be better for your 20 gallon tank. I here the larger ones can get aggressive and catch the fish sometimes. Mine stays in the back of the tank during the day and comes out at night, i can still see him if i peer through though.

Thanks for the tip, I just sent a message to my LFS to see if they can get one for me. I haven't ordered any SW livestock online yet, except for LR.

yes like said before they can go after small fish when large. Also you said u werent sure why your arrow crab died so quick, its most likely because he was near then end of his life which is only about a year. unfortunate

Oh wow, I didn't realize they had such a short life span, how long do they last in the wild?

Back
Top Bottom