Coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regan_tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do corals need to be fed? And any other coral information that you think a rookie should know would be appreciated. (I know the basics just not advanced in knowledge of corals) Thank you :)

Depends on the coral but most grow on light. They also need calcium and other trace elements to grow. Some grow on light and eat food like mysis shrimp etc.

Well I'm thinking about setting up a 10 gallon frag tank and doing a DIY led system for the corals

Is there screw in bulbs tha I can put in a 10 gal hood that will keep corals alive?

^ Par38 for sure. Convict pointed them out to me and they work great! I have a 5 gallon and my coral are doing wonderful :) 1 should do for a 10 gallon with 90 degree lenses.

Do I need filtration on a straight frag tank with no fish or live things?

Is it more beneificail to have your reef tank airated?

Well fish need oxygen in the water... Usually contact with the water on the display and the skimmer is enough but a bubbler can help too. Fish and coral get more stressed in a low oxygen environment

Alright I just picked up a par38 natural day light bulb an built my first rack. What are some good sps corals for a beginner like me?

Attachments

• image-637704190.jpg
    image-637704190.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3714279333.jpg
    image-3714279333.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 57
That par38 will not work for anything but soft corals. Maybe. They have to low of a wattage, Kelvin rating, and PUR( not PAR as PAR reallly is irrelevant). They also have no color spectrum to them. I would return it and look into the reefbreeders.com full spectrum par38. They also sell a gooseneck fixture which works great.

T5 works for some corals fine, metal halide is the grand daddy of lights to grow coral, but they are too hot. Modern LED panels are a good compromise. To grow your hard corals you should use about 3-4 watt per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom