Curious question about Algae Waffers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is something I've been pondering recently.

I know that fresh and salt water fauna are dramaticly different, However...I was wondering if something like Hikari algae waffers for freshwater fish, would be alright to give to a SW tank?

Keep in mind, all I have is a few hermits and a few snails, So there are no fish or other livestock to worry about.

I can't help you, but our Siamese (not a fighting fish) loves them!! And Squirrel loves flake food :roll: It makes feeding the fish REALLY hard when you have two cats begging for food :biglol: You can relate to that, right?

the forms of algae in salt and fresh water are completely different, as are nutrient ratios in the water. what might be safe for fresh water may not be safe for salt. i wouldnt risk it, you could end up with a crazy algae bloom or something. before you turn the lights off at night put a piece of seaweed or nori on a clip and let it sink to the bottom. the hermits will find it. thats what i do, anyway.

Well, I have been using these very same algae wafers (bought at WalMart) and my crabs and Lawnmower Blenny and Tangs love it. No negative effects either.

Agree, I feed those same wafers to my inverts and they love them. My big Angel also loves to play with them. Good stuff, I have noticed no adverse water quality reactions.

Sweet deal

I'm having trouble finding NOri in my area, so I'll plunk a few HIkari waffers in there for my crabbies right now

Thanks guys

I feed the algae wafers. My crabs love them and my decorated goby goes nuts for them. My sebae clown loves to play with them.

Remember the crabs are omnivores so you aren't just limited to algae.

I know, I just lost the package of shrimp I had for them in the recent power outage from Hurricane Jeane.

So I wanted something to feed them.

They attacked those algae waffers like nothing else, tho. They loved them!

They were actually fighting over them [ even tho there was more then enough for all ]

Back
Top Bottom