cyano sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mastershake

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i had cyano everywhere, and i siphoned it all out today off of my sand and rocks, so its all gone, and i dosed with chemi-clean, and i did a 3o% water change, so hopefully it wont return, but anyways, my problem is that i siphoned out about 3 pounds of sand, and its all mixed in with the cyano, is there a way to save that sand, i dont really wanna just dump it back in since then ill be dumping the cyano that i just took out back in, will it just die off after a few days then ill be able to put the sand back in?

I would not try to save the sand. Do you know what caused your cyno out break? Chemi-Clean is a great product and does a nice job of removing cyno from the tank, however, if you do not fix the problem it will just come back.

i had the same problem mastershake, cept in a 55 gal. I removed the cyano and sand, then upgraded my skimmer to a euroreef 5-2 and so far so good *nock on wood*.

Keep the sand, the cyno should die off after a few days to a week with no light. the only issue is there might be excess nutrients in the top layer of sand which is the cause of the cyno.

yeah, i thought once it died since its outta the tank it shouldnt jsut come back, right now i have a seaclone 100 and i only got it 4 days ago and had shut it off when i dosed for 2 days, its back on now, so maybe that will help, i have this nagging feeling that my phosphates are probably really high, but unfortuantley none of the 5 stores around have a test kit, so hopefully ill get one soon and figure out whats caused it, thanks for the help

Cyno bacteria is brought on from excess nutrients, low water flow and the wrong spectrum lighting can add to the problem also. Old bulbs....
Good luck it is a pain in the butt to deal with.

well i have a brand new coralife aqualight set up i got for xmas, so i dont know if it would be lighting, ill drop another powerhead into the tank on the opposite side of the one i have to help with flow, i dotn really know what to do about excess nutrients, all i have in the tank are the 4 snails, what kind of nutrients help this stufff grow, im really wanting to prevent another outbreak as much as possible, any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks

Phosphates are usually the problem. Especially if it is cyano. They make phosphate test kits to be sure. You can also purchase phosphate removers such as phos-ban. Unless you find out what is causing the phosphates they will buildup again and cause problems

Back
Top Bottom