Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good News on this fish!

Thank you autumn , I guess the 3 rd times the charm as they say ,…. I’m getting pretty diligent about keeping one of these pbt long term ., Greg said one time that he’d rather feed his fish everyday and over filter than to feed them every other day and under filter ., that’s been my philosophy on this new fish .,knock on wood it seems to be working. :)

Thank you autumn , I guess the 3 rd times the charm as they say ,…. I’m getting pretty diligent about keeping one of these pbt long term ., Greg said one time that he’d rather feed his fish everyday and over filter than to feed them every other day and under filter ., that’s been my philosophy on this new fish .,knock on wood it seems to be working. :)
I lean to that philosophy too.

My girl friend and I just got back from our yearly trip Kona a week or two ago , ..on our little bucket list was to snorkel at “ two step” again ,…the problem this year was that she was just fully recovering from a full shoulder replacement including a reverse ball and socket procedure, needless to say we took it slow and easy for a bit until she said “ I feel great “.
I brought up that to let you know that the COVID pandemic had no effect on the fish population nor the snorkelers at “ two step “ .
We found hundreds of yellow tangs, a few humuhumu’s, a wide variety of wrasse ,moorish idols etc and one large blue star jack that gave me the stink eye as it cruised by me within a few feet .
This was the first year that I did not take one of my underwater cameras mainly because we weren’t too sure we’d be able to do the snorkeling.
Of course there’s been a few pennies tossed into the piggy bank for Kona trip #17 (?) for 2022 .
Any marine aquarium enthusiast who’s never has had the opportunity to see these aquarium fish in their natural daily environment are missing out on a amazing adventure.
On a biggie for me I believe I’ve just passed the one year mark on keeping my powder blue tang ! She’s healthy fat and beautiful !!
Hope everyone is doing well and their tanks are thriving.

My girl friend and I just got back from our yearly trip Kona a week or two ago , ..on our little bucket list was to snorkel at “ two step” again ,…the problem this year was that she was just fully recovering from a full shoulder replacement including a reverse ball and socket procedure, needless to say we took it slow and easy for a bit until she said “ I feel great “.
I brought up that to let you know that the COVID pandemic had no effect on the fish population nor the snorkelers at “ two step “ .
We found hundreds of yellow tangs, a few humuhumu’s, a wide variety of wrasse ,moorish idols etc and one large blue star jack that gave me the stink eye as it cruised by me within a few feet .
This was the first year that I did not take one of my underwater cameras mainly because we weren’t too sure we’d be able to do the snorkeling.
Of course there’s been a few pennies tossed into the piggy bank for Kona trip #17 (?) for 2022 .
Any marine aquarium enthusiast who’s never has had the opportunity to see these aquarium fish in their natural daily environment are missing out on a amazing adventure.
On a biggie for me I believe I’ve just passed the one year mark on keeping my powder blue tang ! She’s healthy fat and beautiful !!
Hope everyone is doing well and their tanks are thriving.

Glad you made the trip Dary. Those surgeries can be life changing. My mother had her hip done several years ago. Once she got settled, best she's ever felt. Just like what your gf said. Keep it going bud.

Hank,..Laura ( gf ) also had her hip replaced a year ago !!!! It makes life interesting when she goes thru the tsa screening.
She getting to be the Bionic woman,..as long as she doesn’t opt to have her boy friend surgically replaced then I’ll be ok lol .

Hank,..Laura ( gf ) also had her hip replaced a year ago !!!! It makes life interesting when she goes thru the tsa screening.
She getting to be the Bionic woman,..as long as she doesn’t opt to have her boy friend surgically replaced then I’ll be ok lol .

I usually call it "I'd run a mile...if I could ever run a mile". Fixing things that affect ones quality of life is pretty huge. It'll make next year's trip that much better.

Glad you made the trip Dary. Those surgeries can be life changing. My mother had her hip done several years ago. Once she got settled, best she's ever felt. Just like what your gf said. Keep it going bud.

That is a great picture. I would love to go there some day.

There’s just something about snorkeling around the reefs that’s kinda hard to put into words,… we always talk about how it’s like being dropped off on a different planet ,… as soon as you leave the rocks you’re now in their world ,… kinda scary ,intimidating but yet so tranquil to just watch all the creatures go about their chores.
I’m always amazed to see groups of a hundreds of yellow tangs all bunched together all swimming together peacefully foraging as they go YET in the home aquarium they are so intolerant of having another tang in there with them.
The triggerfish always are super skeptical about being approached on the reef and dart away quickly while still keeping a close eye on you BUT in your home aquarium they’re kinda like a puppy dog waiting for you to come home to say hi , most of the wrasses seemed not to care of your presence and just go about their daily tasks .
It’s amazing to see how captivity effects their wild behavior patterns.
If nothing major comes up next years trip will be back to being more of our traditional snorkeling adventure which we both love .
Going to Hawaii this year amid the whole COVID thing was weighing this against that and trying to come up with a workable game plan was challenging to say the least but we made it !!!
Thank you autumn,Mel,hank ,Sean and all for the comments .,can’t wait to give you a detailed report next year with pictures.

She sure is pretty Clark. [emoji16]. I get the tangs Dary. I finally broke down a month ago and picked up a Hippo Tank after being scared for years because of HLLE, etc. I have good water quality and feed a varied diet. Been about a month and it’s a little meatball. Even my Tomini Tang “has gotten over it”.

Long time members will remember doug aka “ mr.x “ ,.. he was Frank , harsh, extremely knowledgeable and yet funny too , he always reminded me of judge Judy ,..anyway , he always preached that water changes are your best friend., which is the reason for this post .
Years ago I had a modified 50 gal barrel plumbed to do my weekly pwc’s ,…I would roughly do a 25 -35 gal water change weekly and my water for the most part was beautiful, i could browse all the sps and feel very comfortable knowing that they would grow and flourish in my tank ,… then a few years ago for some reason that I can’t recall except maybe a bout of stupidity I tore out that barrel and replaced it with a cut down 25 gal container ,… well a 15 gal weekly water change for my system just isn’t cutting it ,… not that my present water isn’t good ,it’s just not up to the quality it used to be .
I can hear doug saying something like “Dary ,what the hell were you thinking ? You know better than that ! “
Anyways, for awhile I wanted to redo that mistake and get things back up to snuff,… so off to Dixieline for some pvc fitting etc and the new project was underway ,…after a few adult sodas I wrestled the new modified 50 gal barrel in and got it all plumbed back up and running .
I’m sure over the next few weeks I’ll be back to having that sps water again !!
Thank you mr.x for those haunting words,… you may be gone from the forum but you’re not forgotten !!!
Today was the barrels maiden refill !

Back
Top Bottom